Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jan 11, 2015, 06:26 AM
    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis
    I have a Check Engine Light on. Had it checked. The guy said it was to do with the Gas Cap needing to be replaced for starters. What else is involved in that System if it is not the gas cap? Just came off a very long trip and got 26.5 mpg with the light on.
    Where else could the problem be? The light showed up around 50,000 miles and now have 54,000. Coming up for an inspection by the state. I can get a waiver due to my age but I will be limited to 5k per year. Insp. is every 2 years.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2015, 07:22 AM
    Charcoal EVAP system, which can be damaged if you try and overfill your gas tank. When the pump handle cuts off, don't try and force more gas into the tank. The excess can dump raw gas, instead of fumes, into the EVAP system. Likely, it's just a leaking gas cap.

Jan 11, 2015, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Charcoal EVAP system, which can be damaged if you try and overfill your gas tank. When the pump handle cuts off, don't try and force more gas into the tank. The excess can dump raw gas, instead of fumes, into the EVAP system. Likely, it's just a leaking gas cap.
    Thanks TGM, Is there a photo of a Evap System? I have not replaced the gas cap but have inspected it and it seems to be soft on the "O" Ring and not hard. Tech cranked down very hard on Gas Cap and reset the light but it came back on about 10 miles down the road. Will replace the GC and get it set again. It might be a valve in the gas cap that is leaking and not the "O Ring".
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2015, 12:26 PM
    Sorry, I don't have a picture.

Jan 11, 2015, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Sorry, I don't have a picture.
    Thanks, I found a very good explanation of a EVAP System

www.aa1car.com/library/evap_system.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 mercury grand marquis troubleshooting [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 93 grand marquis that is in Montana and after a recent cold morning, around 5 degrees, I wasn't able to start my car. I have never had this problem before. Last year it would start in below zero. I took the battery out of my 97 van and put it in the car and could not start the car. ...

Mercury Grand Marquis won't reverse [ 1 Answers ]

My car drives just fine. However, it will not reverse. The grears slip, they won't catch for reverse or park. My machanic says it's some box in the steering coloum, but I want to be sure. What do you think and how much is it

2000 mercury grand marquis [ 2 Answers ]

My interior lights will not shut off I can't even find the door switch to check if it is stuck I finally had to remove the bulbs

2000 mercury grand marquis [ 1 Answers ]

My interior light s will not shut off on a 2000 merc. Grand marquis any ideas?

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the crank sensor lacated on a 92 Grand Marquis with a 4.6 liter engine?

View more questions Search