Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 03:11 PM
    Scratch is infected
    I have this teeny tiny scratch on my finger. I'm talking tiny. I think it was a paper cut, but don't really know how I even got the scratch, it's that tiny and insignificant.

When I noticed it I cleaned it and then left it alone. It wasn't bleeding, it was tiny tiny tiny, so I figured that would be enough. Well that didn't do any good. It's now infected. It's swollen, it's red, it's angry, and it hurts. It's still tiny, even with the infection, but size really doesn't matter. It hurts!

It's Saturday, I'm not going out in the freezing cold to sit in a walk in clinic for 6 hours just so some doctor can tell me that it's infected, which I already know.

Anyone have any home remedy ideas, or a cream I can buy at the store? Any advice is appreciated to save me a trip to the doctor in this cold.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 03:51 PM
    Your immune system has take a hit. Yes, I do have a solution. You can soak in salt water, keep it clean and away from animals; don't panic because you have kids and treated scraped knees and they have been fine right ? Just be patient and if that doesn't work buy LivRelief ointment at your pharmacy. I don't buy antibiotic cream anymore, after I found this and each little packet goes a long way !
    Pets Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 03:56 PM
    Thank you Tickle. I'll try that. :)

Would give you a greenie, but I had to spread the rep. :(
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 10, 2015, 03:59 PM
    I wonder if you have a glass splinter...
    Pets Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 04:05 PM
    Thanks Joy. Doubt it's a splinter of glass, it's really tiny. I'm actually thinking it's because of the cold weather we've been having this last week. My skin tends to crack when it's cold out, the air here is very dry and no amount of moisturizing keeps the cracking at bay. This cut is literally the size of this "_". Super tiny, near the base of my pointy finger on the side.

I'll definitely try the salt water, and vinegar. I'm out of peroxide but I can send hubby to the store for that. I'll also try putting some antibiotic cream on it, and putting a bandaid on it, which I didn't do when I first noticed it (my bad).
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 04:10 PM
    Take D3, too -- daily. Start with 1,000 IUs a day and increase weekly.
    Pets Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 04:12 PM
    D3? Is that a vitamin?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 04:18 PM
    Yes, it is. I've had no finger splits from the cold since I've been taking D3.
    Pets Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 04:29 PM
    I'll look into it. Thanks WG. :)
    Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 04:34 PM
    No antibiotic cream ! And why vinegar ? I have some of those lesions, Alty. I just do as I stated. My work keeps my hands tender in this cold weather !

It heels, then you have to clip away dead skin on the sides, or it opens up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    D3? Is that a vitamin?
    Sort of. A supplement like D that you get from the sun. I take D to keep my immune system balanced, but not in the summer as I am out in the garden a lot. The sun activates the D already in your body
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 10, 2015, 04:37 PM
    I use triple antibiotic cream a lot. Works for me.
    BACITRACIN
    NEOMYCIN
    POLYMYXIN
    Vinegar, being acidic, is for the people who only want 'natural' products.
    Pets Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 04:43 PM
    Thank you all. I'm going to try the salt water first, then put a bandaid on it. If that doesn't work then I'll try some of the other suggestions. I will look into vitamin D tablets because unfortunately I do live in a part of the world that doesn't get a lot of sun for half the year.

My mom swore by vinegar, and I've used vinegar on minor infections that the pets have had, and it's worked wonders (I do water it down so that it doesn't sting). I don't know why I didn't think of salt or vinegar. Hey, if I eat a bowl of salt and vinegar chips is that good enough? ;)
    Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 05:57 PM
    I have stitched up some wounds, people and animals. I would not go near any antibiotic cream, especially after it has been opened up and contaminated. Great it works for you joy. As for vinegar, nope.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jan 11, 2015, 03:22 PM
    I use Vicks for small cuts, and put a band aid on it. It usually does a good job of drawing out the infection too. Old school.
    Pets Expert

Jan 11, 2015, 04:00 PM
    Vicks vapor rub Catonsville? Doesn't that sting?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 11, 2015, 04:04 PM
    1,000 IUs of D3 gel capsules a day, and you won't ever have to think of soaking or smearing goop again.
    Pets Expert

Jan 11, 2015, 04:06 PM
    I'll definitely look into that WG. I know I should be taking vitamin D, especially because of where I live and having no access to the suns natural healing for at least 6 months or more of the year.

I did soak the scratch in salt water last night. I then put hydrogen peroxide on it and some vitamin E cream and wrapped a bandaid around it for the night.

It's still sore, and angry looking, so I'll do the salt water a few more times today, until it starts to look and feel better. If it's not any better by Tuesday, I'm going to my doctor. :)
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jan 11, 2015, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Vicks vapor rub Catonsville? Doesn't that sting?
    Never had any sting problems with it. Nice for a chest rub also loosens up congestion. Wouldn't be without in the med cabinet. May not be for everyone.
    Pets Expert

Jan 11, 2015, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Never had any sting problems with it. Nice for a chest rub also loosens up congestion. Wouldn't be without in the med cabinet.
    I feel the same way. We always have Vicks on hand, it's our medicine of choice when we have a chest cold. But I never would have thought to put it on a cut, especially for an infected cut. I'll do some research before I try it, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm willing to try anything at this point. This little cut sure is becoming a big pain.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 11, 2015, 04:18 PM
    I'd go for amputation at this point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Itchy Scratch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a vaginal itch that burns. There is no discharge. What could it be?

Does the belly piercing necessarily need to look infected to be infected? [ 9 Answers ]

Does it? Mine doesn't hurt and people say it doesn't look infected at all. But I'm scared help

Can a girl get infected with HPV when giving oral sex to an infected male? [ 4 Answers ]

Can a girl get infected with HPV when giving oral sex to an infected male who isn't having an outbreak?

Scratch on the Penis [ 2 Answers ]

I have a scratch on the side of my penis. It burns when it rubs against my boxers. What should I put on it so it will heal quickly?

I want to start from scratch [ 36 Answers ]

Entire story merged My boyfriend and I have been together for 10 months. Everything has been wonderful up until recently. All of the sudden he wants to hang out with his friends ALL the time and we never see/talk to each other anymore. It really kills me because sometimes he's emotionally...

View more questions Search