Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2015, 07:43 AM
    Hp desktop p6523w
    Hi, when I started the computer a message saying "Checksum is invalid file" came up and then it showed "no signal monitor going to sleep". Also the whirring sound that it usually makes is louder than normal and doesn't seem to quit. My questions are does this sound like something relatively simple or major? Do you think a computer geek could manage to get my pictures? Thanks
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2015, 02:48 PM
    To me, the checksum message would indicate a problem with the BIOS chip of your computer. If that is the case, you should be able to retrieve all your files by removing the hard drive and putting it into another computer. Then, just copy off everything you want to keep. Any computer geek worth his salt should know exactly what to do here.

The increased fan noise may be an indication that your computer is really busy with something. And since you had a boot-up error, it may be related to that. Perhaps on this particular error the computer cannot do anything and goes into an infinite loop. Just speculation.

Now, as far as getting your computer back to working, that is a different story. You rarely hear of BIOS problems, so there is not a lot of experience to go on. A really good geek may be able to reflash the BIOS and get you back in business. However, if you're paying the going rate for geek service, you may consider a new computer.

The most important thing is your files should be intact.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2015, 03:08 PM
    Thanks Wally, I plan to take it to the shop tomorrow, I mainly want what pictures I have on it, most have been put on disc already. How hard would it be put the hard drive in another computer? Is that adding it to the other computer or removing the working drive and installing one from the downed computer? Is that just unplugging and plugging in? I might be willing to try that.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2015, 06:46 AM
    For someone comfortable with the inside of a computer, it is a simple process. If it's your first time inside, it might be a little daunting.

Here is a YouTube video that shows the basic procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orAPCdr88hY Note that your HP system will be a little different than what is shown, but it should be fairly similar.

In addition to the second computer, you'll need an additional SATA cable to hook up the drive, as you will be adding the drive to the rescue computer, not replacing the drive. I'd take the cable from your sick computer, but pay extremely close attention to where it connects to the motherboard so you can put it back if you need to afterwards. In the rescue computer, look for where the current hard drive data cable goes (i.e. follow it from the drive itself down to the motherboard) and it is probably labeled "SATA 0" (but don't remove it). There should be an empty connector right next to that labeled "SATA 1" -- this is where you'll plug in the SATA cable from your sick computer. The other end goes to the hard drive you are trying to save files from. Also plug in the power (there should be available connectors in the rescue computer).

Once you boot the rescue computer, you should see an additional disk drive in Window's File Manager. Navigate to the files you want to save and copy them over to the rescue computer's hard drive, or to a cloud service like OneDrive, Dropbox, Flickr, etc. When you have everything safely copied, shut things down and remove your old drive.

Another way to do this would be to buy a USB drive enclosure, something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182155
    What you do here is just remove your drive from the sick computer and place it into the USB enclosure. Then, you can hook it via USB to any computer (including your replacement computer, if that is what winds up happening). You can just leave your files on there, or copy them to the other computer. The advantage of this method is: 1) You only have to open one computer (the sick one) and 2) You can use the new USB enclosure with your old drive as a backup for your new computer.

Also, if you are fortunate enough to find a simple fix for the old computer, you can just put the drive back in and you're back to where you started (before the problem, that is).

I hope this helps,
    WallyH
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2015, 08:10 AM
    Wow, I think I'll try, I've been inside doing several different things, memory upgrades for one, but had my brother (the computer geek) skyped in on the laptop to guide me, but sadly he's passed but I think he would want me to try. I'll be tied up with Drs. The next two days but will make the attempt wed. Thanks for all the help.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2015, 07:55 AM
    Make sure the computer is unplugged!

Let us know how things work out.
    WallyH
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2015, 01:24 PM
    Hi Wally, things have been hectic here, I may get to tear into those machines this weekend. I need to clarify, will it matter that they are different makes? And have different OS's? Would I be able to leave the drive from the sick computer in the rescue?
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2015, 08:07 PM
    The computer make does not matter as long as they both use the same type (not brand, necessarily) hard drive. As long as the rescue computer is around the same age (or newer) than your sick computer this requirement should be met. Computers 10 or more years old used a different type of hard drive called EIDE (yours is SATA). Compare the two pictures here to see the difference based on the cables that attach to the drive. The top ones are the data cables, the bottom ones are the power cables.
    Name:  drivecables.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  35.2 KB
    Name:  ide-sata.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  5.9 KB
    SATA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . EIDE

The operating systems don't need to be the same, but if both are Windows of some version you'll be better off. You can leave the old drive in the rescue computer also, as I believe it will still be operable.

Best of luck!
    WallyH
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2015, 08:14 AM
    Hi wally, I got to look in both computers today, I have a question about the power, sick drive is plugged with a p4 plug, the rescue computer has available p3, p5 and a p6. How will I get power or can I? Thanks again for the replies.
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2015, 06:33 AM
    I guess I'm not sure what you mean by the p4, p3, p5, p6 plugs. Is that the number of pins, how it is labeled on the system board, or something else?

WallyH
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2015, 11:20 AM
    Hi Wally, coming out of the sick drive the power wires has a plug labeled p4, the rescue doesn't even have a plug with that label. The cable going to the board in the sick one looks like the one you labeled sata in your earlier post. I hope I'm being clear. The USB enclosure is looking better all the time, would a store like radio shack carry those?

edit: Wally I ordered the enclosure you recommended, couldn't find it local, I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2015, 06:07 AM
    Does the drive from the sick computer look something like this?
    Name:  hard_drive_interface_sata.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  47.6 KB

If so, then is the P4 connector like the one labeled just "Power" above? You should be able to use either the "Power" or "Power (SATA)" connector (not both) to supply power to the drive.

I would imagine the USB enclosure will use the "Power (SATA)" connector for power. And, to be clear, I didn't recommend that particular enclosure--it was just the first one that came up doing a Google search. However, I think it is a fine unit based on the reviews I saw. It's just that I have no personal experience with this one.

In the end, I think using an enclosure will be your best option anyway.

Good luck,
    WallyH
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2015, 06:19 AM
    The drive matches the Data and the power sata that you have labeled, but the other plug is an eight pronged plug.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2015, 06:19 AM
    Any way you could attach a picture of what you've got? Right now, I'm stumped.
    The good thing is that once your USB enclosure arrives, none of this should matter.
    WallyH
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2015, 08:00 AM
    I'll post a pic when I get home, the USB will be here Tue.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2015, 10:19 AM
    Hi again Wally, I received the enclosure and installed the hard drive into the enclosure according to the instructions, (I forgot to take a picture first), I'm hesitant to plug it to the rescue computer, what will I see when I plug it in? I shouldn't need to format it, should I? I was hoping you might give me a step by step here. Thanks for all the help.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2015, 07:18 PM
    OK, no problem. I'm assuming your rescue computer is running Windows.
    First off, DO NOT FORMAT THE DRIVE!!!

1. With the rescue computer up and running, plug the USB enclosure's plug into the computer
    2. You should hear a ding or two, and probably something in the lower right corner of the screen will pop up saying something about "drivers being installed"
      Name:  usb-attach.png
Views: 98
Size:  16.5 KB
    3. Give it a minute, and you might get (in the lower right) something that says "your device is ready to use"
      Name:  usb-installed.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  15.8 KB
    4. Open up Explorer (probably labeled "Computer")
      Name:  default-start-menu.png
Views: 143
Size:  95.9 KB
    5. Find the USB enclosure in the list of attached drives
      Name:  drive.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  70.3 KB
    6. Double-click on that drive to open it and explore the files
    7. I don't know what you want to copy off, but (assuming Windows 7 or 8, maybe even Vista) you'll probably want to navigate to {drive-letter}:\Users\{yourname} and copy that entire folder to the rescue computer. For example, mine might be E:\Users\Wally
      Name:  users.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  108.2 KB
    8. Repeat step 7 for any other folders you deem important (that is any with personal files in them)
    9. You're done

(note that these images are all random items from the web so there is no consistency between them)

I hope this gives you confidence it proceeding.
    WallyH
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 26, 2015, 07:28 PM
    Sorry to break in fellas, but I have been following your instruction Wally, and just want to know if this applies if you are on a chrome note book as the rescue computer and the corrupted one is running windows?
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2015, 03:18 AM
    Hi Wally, I'm in, yaaay. Everything went according to your plan. You're the "Man". Thanks a bunch.
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2015, 06:17 AM
    I'm not well-versed in Chromebooks, but my understanding is that it should be more-or-less the same basic procedure.

I found this info in a Google forum:
    USB-attached hard drives, USB thumb drive and SC cards are generally accessible if they:
    1. Use a standard format like NTFS or FAT32, and <-- This would apply to Windows drives

2. Do not require any software installation (driver, security, versioning) in order to operate. <-- Should apply to USB drives

Network-attached drives are NOT available at this time. The developers have this in their queue but this capability requires the completion of multiple projects. There is no estimated date of completion and it will probably not be soon.

Pictures, music and other files that are on a phone or tablet are accessible IF the phone or tablet can be made to appear as a USB hard disk. Technically this means that the device uses the MSC (Mass Storage Class) protocol.

Phones and tablets that only use the PTP (Picture Transsfer Protocol) and/or MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) cannont be accessed directly through a USB connection.
    Files on an Android phone can be accessed over WiFi using Airdroid. Files on both Android and iOS devices can be transferred to Google Drive by installing the Drive app. From Drive the files can be accessed by the Chromebook.
    So, I think it will work, but I have no experience to make an authoritative statement.

WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Desktop [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me why my Dell XPS 400 which has been working fine for years all of a sudden won't load my personal settings. (Windows XP) It boots normally but when it says it's loading my personal setting after I put in my password, it shows a completely empty desktop. I mean only the...

Desktop [ 4 Answers ]

Hi folks Could any one tell me how to stop My documents automatically opening when I start up my computer. :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search