Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terrcharrod Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2015, 12:51 PM
    Dual Residency:
    I am disabled veteran on SSD, living in NYC for the past 16 years, but enrolling in a heart transplant program at Baylor Hospital in Dallas. My disability status makes me exempt to federal and state taxes in either state. So the tax table will not apply in my situation. I am covered by Medicare and Medicaid. My health insurance is totally in force here in NY but it will not pay for post-op meds unless I am a resident of Texas. I might add that I'm am originally from Dallas, and all of my family is still there. Please explain the facts in this situation.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 8, 2015, 03:00 PM
    There is no such thing as dual state residency, so you are clearly a NY resident. To make the case that you are a TX resident you will have to move there. This is where it gets tricky, because there is really no solid definition of what "moving" means. Typically one's state of residency is the place that you think of and act like is your home - for example where you vote, where you have your cars registered, where your drivers license is issued, where you have your banking, tax, and insurance correspondence sent, and typically where you spend the majority of your time. For people who own or rent multiple dwellings in different states it can be a bit fuzzy, but if you don't have a home in TX I don't see how you can claim to be a TX resident.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 8, 2015, 03:02 PM
    A Warning for Medicaid Beneficiaries Traveling Out of State | Virginia Disability Law Blog

However, many Medicaid recipients don't realize that their health insurance coverage may not provide a full set of benefits should they require care while out of state. For example in some states Medicaid only covers out-of -state emergency room visits to stabilize emergency conditions. Should a beneficiary need to be admitted to a hospital in another state or if he must receive essential, regular psychiatric care or medications from an out-of-state provider, some states will not pay for the services through Medicaid. In these situations, a caregiver or other family member is often required to sign an agreement to pay for the services before the person with special needs can receive care.
    Baylor may not cover you meds but try the county hospitals before you or your family signs any liability agreements.

Parkland Health & Hospital System | Parkland Health & Hospital System

Dallas County Hospital
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 8, 2015, 03:13 PM
    A Warning for Medicaid Beneficiaries Traveling Out of State | Virginia Disability Law Blog

However, many Medicaid recipients don't realize that their health insurance coverage may not provide a full set of benefits should they require care while out of state. For example in some states Medicaid only covers out-of -state emergency room visits to stabilize emergency conditions. Should a beneficiary need to be admitted to a hospital in another state or if he must receive essential, regular psychiatric care or medications from an out-of-state provider, some states will not pay for the services through Medicaid. In these situations, a caregiver or other family member is often required to sign an agreement to pay for the services before the person with special needs can receive care.
    Baylor may not cover you meds but try the county hospitals before you or your family signs any liability agreements.

Parkland Health & Hospital System | Parkland Health & Hospital System

Is it possible to be reimbursed through NY medicaid? How long will you be in Texas?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual residency [ 1 Answers ]

My son goes to school in Iowa and our home residence is in Minnesota. Can he claim dual residency? One of his professors said to check into it and he might qualify for reduced tuition. Thanks Shannon

Dual residency? [ 1 Answers ]

I was born and raised in South Dakota. I am now a resident of TX. We live part time in SD and part time in Texas and RV the rest of the year. I want to be a resident of SD. I do not work. My husband wants to remain a resident of Texas. He is medically retired and a Disabled Veteran. Is this...

Dual residency in pa [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a township (abington) but do not want to send my daughter to that school system. She is going into her junior year of HS. The next school district over (lower moreland) is where I would like to send her. Our house has been on the market for 6 months but we have been unable to sell or...

View more questions Search