Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cweevie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2015, 11:56 AM
    My kids father's haven't been in their lives their whole life
    My kids father's haven't been in their lives their whole life. My daughter is 8 yrs old and my son is 5 years old. They are court ordered to pay child support which they do not pay. Can I get their father's for abandonment or have their rights terminated? I want my husband, who has been taking care of the for the past 5 years, to eventually adopt them?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 8, 2015, 12:22 PM
    Your husband may be able to adopt them. Termination of the natural fathers' parental rights would be a necessary step. You and your husband should an attorney about doing that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 8, 2015, 01:31 PM
    You are putting the cart before the horse. No you can't get them for abandonment. No you can't have their rights terminated out of hand.

What you should do is have your husband go to court to adopt. As part of the adoption you will need to get the father's agreement to allow the adoption. Or at least make sure they are aware of it. If they refuse to sign, it is probable the adoption will go through anyway if they have never been a part of the children's lives.

But the only way you will get this done is to START with the adoption. A court is not likely to terminate rights unless it is to clear the way for an adoption. Once the adoption is granted, then they will have no legal right or responsibilities to the children. They will, however, still owe any child support arrears that exist prior to the adoption. Whether you pursue that or not is up to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have 3 kids an my friend lives with me an she is a rso in the 3rd degree [ 2 Answers ]

My friend lives with me I have 3 kids an she is a level 3 I wasn't aware of her being a rap till after she moved in so I would like to no if I would get in trouble with her here

My father lives in the past because of generations of alcoholics in his life. [ 1 Answers ]

What should a loved one not say to an alcoholic that could possibly put them into a relapse situation.

I want to have more of a say in my kids lives? [ 1 Answers ]

I feel as though I am missing out on the upbringing of my children. What steps should I take to have a more solid and binding say in the lives of my children, my kids are 4yrs (girl) and 9 (boy). My wife and I don't really talk and it is very hard although we do manage to agree on some things...

How can I add father's name in my child birth certificate if father lives abroad [ 3 Answers ]

The father lives out of EC and needs visa to UK. He involves inmy son lives an financially support him

Claiming a grandchild that lives with you or does father that lives elsewhere? [ 6 Answers ]

My 18 year old daughter lives with me full time, is full time high school student, has had a baby 12/5/07 and the baby also lives with me. I do claim my daughter as a dependent. The baby is covered by his fathers insurance. Who claims the baby as a dependent on their taxes, the father or myself?

View more questions Search