Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sweetdemon00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2015, 01:37 PM
    Can I reclaim my German citizenship if I never renounced after dual citizenship?
    I was born in 1974 in Germany to American born military parents. I never renounced my citizenship when it was US/German dual. Can I still apply for German citizenship or somehow reclaim it? I know the laws have varied since the reunification but I want to move Ireland and I believe my ancestry goes too far back for Irish decent laws. If I can get my citizenship reclaimed for Germany I can live in either place under EU law. Who would I contact for accurate information or find out if I have any rights reclaiming German citizenship?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 7, 2015, 02:14 PM
    You can reclaim only if you are l00% german, so no you cant. If you want more information I would suggest you phone the German Consulate wherever you happen to be living now.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Jan 8, 2015, 12:49 PM
    Did you ever have German citizenship? You generally need to have at least one parent who was German to have German citizenship at birth.

If you had both German and U.S. citizenship at birth, then you still have both. There is no need to "reclaim".
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jan 8, 2015, 01:32 PM
    My brothers were born in Germany in a German hospital (1970 and 1974). They both still have dual citizenship due to my Dad being in the military. My parents are both Canadians.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Citizenship, German and US [ 0 Answers ]

I was born to a German mother and an American father in Germany. I have a German birth certificate and have my entire family still living in Germany. I understand that under the Nationality Act, my father would have had to have been German for me to receive citizenship or my mother would have had...

German Canadian Dual Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

I am German and have lived in Canada since 1985 as a Landed Immigrant. Back then I was told that Germany does not allow Dual Citizenship. Apparently the rules have changed and I can apply for Canadian Citizenship without losing my German Citizenship. How do I apply?

Landed Immigrant in Canada, German Citizen- Want Dual Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to find out how to receive Dual Citizenship for Canada and Germany

View more questions Search