Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Jan 7, 2015, 08:04 AM
    Propane Heat..
    Having just recently installed a new furnace and switched from oil to propane heat, my query is to figure out the cost to run factor. We have 2 420 litre tanks. After the installation was approved/certified, the tanks were topped up at 80 lbs each on Dec 19/14. According to date we've burned 20 lbs or 1 lb. per day. Lol... This load of propane sold for 0.58 cents a litre. Cheers Thanks.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 7, 2015, 10:08 AM
    One pound of liquid propane has a volume of about 0.8 liters. So if you use 1 pound/day then you're using about 0.8 liters/day, which at a cost of $0.50/liter equals about $0.46 per day.

Are you sure of your numbers?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2015, 03:36 PM
    80 lbs? Sure you don't mean 80%-672 liters? Otherwise, you will run out or propane fast in cold weather.

Jan 7, 2015, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    80 lbs? Sure you don't mean 80%-672 liters? Otherwise, you will run out or propane fast in cold weather.

If you recall the Shortage of Propane scenario last Winter here in the East... Our Propane Supplier suggested we go with 2 Tanks as we do intend at some point to add a Gas Stove , Gas Fireplace as backup... btw Note: Propane Shortage was due to local supplier not Topping up his Tank Farm at the end of the previous Winter Season.. Anyway each tank is a ( 123 gallon / 420 lb. / 465 litre capacity ) They sit vertically.. The Pressure Gauges on both tanks which the Delivery Driver goes by is in Pounds.. The Billing which I pay by is in litres.. Cheers
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2015, 08:03 PM
    I was surprised that they only put in 80#. I have a 250 gallon, roughly 1000 liters, and they typically fill me with 200-210 gallons which is about 80%. You need more headspace with the propane so it doesn't over expand in the summer and blow the safety valve. I'm sure it will be used up tonight, it's going to be 12 F in the Atlanta area.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 8, 2015, 03:56 AM
    My propane is filled to 80% too. I don't get where you see a pressure gauge. It isn't under pressure.

Jan 8, 2015, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    My propane is filled to 80% too. I don't get where you see a pressure gauge. It isn't under pressure.
    If anyone can Chim in and tell me just exactly what type of Gauge that is on top of the Tank... Propane is Billed by the Litre , the Gauge / Meter on the Delivery Truck counts off Litres.. The Driver monitors a Gauge on top of my Tank , @ or as close to 80 Incrimints he disconnects the Delivery Hose..

Bottom Line.. I'm curious and attempting a Price Comparison from Oil to Propane.. The initial readings on 1st Fill Up read 76 / 78.. 20 days later the readings on the Tank Gauges were 56 / 58.. And the price on the Delivery Ticket showed the Propane was sold to me for 0.58 cents a litre.. Cheers. Thanks..
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 8, 2015, 06:41 AM
    Does the gauge go from 0 - 100? if so, perhaps it's a measurement of the percentage fill of the tank. In your original post you said you had burned 20 pounds since December 19, but perhaps what really happened is you burned 20% of the volume of the tank in that time (i.e. taking both tanks from 80% fill to 60%). 20% of 840 liters is 168 liters, which makes a lot more sense to me.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 8, 2015, 06:57 AM
    It's just a depth gauge, like on an oil tank. You multiply the % times the size of your tank to get the liters.
    Two 465 L tanks.
    You first said topped off at 80%, now 76 and 78, so I'll go with the latter.

So you subtract 76-56, and 78-58. Happens to be 20% on both tanks, so you can skip some figuring and just multiply .2 x 930 = 186 liters.
    That's 186/20 days = 9.3 liters a day.
    BUT the actual number of liters delivered is right on your ticket, so this is all just approximate. Even if you didn't have a ticket in hand, you would have to know what the gauge read on the most recent fill.
    The driver should have hand written the actual liters delivered.
    Divide that by 20 days, and you have the real usage for 20 days.
    Count on the Jan, Feb, and half of March being colder and using more.

[Just saw ebaines... now I see that you say 420 liter at the beginning and 465 later! Which is it? I think it's 465, so my math should be right. But it's all unnecessary - you have the liters delivered on your ticket!]
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2015, 03:54 PM
    Definitely a % gauge which should show temp corrections and a yellow to red zone. They pump by liters, gallons here, but tank is rated by volume. That's why I questioned 80# since it won't last long, was 11 in Atlanta this morning

Jan 9, 2015, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post

[Just saw ebaines... now I see that you say 420 liter at the beginning and 465 later! Which is it? I think it's 465, so my math should be right. But it's all unnecessary - you have the liters delivered on your ticket!]

Thanks were set straight.. lol.. The weight of the Tank is 420 lbs, the volume is 465 litres.. Yes following the formula we get an approximation... Upon installation of the new Propane Furnace the Supplier set up the tanks with 150 litres in the tanks with the Top Up to follow once the Installation was Certified.. That's how I got 76 / 78 %... We had burnt 218 litres of propane as of 20 days, breaking down to costing $6.44 a day.. It's been bone chilling cold the past week, the Supplier suggested we call for the next top up when the gauges read 20 %... Cheers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Heat vs Propane Heat... [ 5 Answers ]

I'm told Propane is selling for approximately 0.50 cents a Liter less than Oil here in Eastern Ontario presently.. We've gone over the Burn Cleaner & Effecientcy Factor... My Query is Comparing what we put out in cost of Oil Heat last Winter into Propane Expense, if that is a fair question? We...

Nordyne Propane Furnace - no heat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Propane furnace model # KG6RC-060C-12A. The furnace fires up but shuts off after a few seconds. It attempts this 3 times and then shuts off. The code light is blinking 4 times. I checked the wiring for loose grounds and it appears to be OK. The unit is only 3 years old. Any...

Converting from propane to electric heat [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 4000 sq ft house and I have propane for heating. My heating bill for the winter is 700-800 dollars per month. I live in dallas tx. I would like to to replace my heating system with an electrical heating system. How expensive could this be?

Converting forced ac and heat from propane to electric [ 1 Answers ]

With the propane prices going through the roof, I was wondering how much it would cost and even if it is possible to convert our forced ac/heating from propane to electric? Propane is running close to $5.00/gal. We came from a home that had natural gas. Our gas bill in the summer was about...

Advantages of converting from propane heat to electric heat for home use [ 1 Answers ]

When is it an advantage to convert from propane heat to electric heat in a residential home? Also could you give me a rough idea of what it costs to make this transition? Thank you. :confused:

View more questions Search