Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angel collier Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2015, 09:28 PM
    Wrist pain
    I have pain on the palm side dead center of my wrist. It is severe if I grasp things or lift them. Also seems to hurt if I move my thumb or ring finger. Do you have any idea what would cause this?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 6, 2015, 11:11 PM
    You will have to see your doctor, but it sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 7, 2015, 03:50 AM
    Yes, agree with J. Carpal Tunnel is from repetitive motion, like using a computer keyboard constantly.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 7, 2015, 07:52 AM
    Carpal tunnel can be avoided, and it's certainly worth a try to take measures to stop your habits while you also see a doctor.
    I stay constantly aware of how I sit and move at my computer all day.
    1. Your forearms should be LEVEL with the top of the keyboard, or even slightly above. Short people are most likely to reach up a bit.
    2. Your wrist should stay STRAIGHT ahead, in line with your forearm, not bent to one side, as is so common in all computer users. Buy a wrist brace if that will help.

Even if you end up having to have surgery, you still will have to figure out what caused it, and work on those movements.

I am very short. The typical desk height is 29 or 30". I lowered mine years ago to 27 1/2", but plan to make a new one that is only 25". I also lowered my chair so that my feet stay flat on the floor, keeping my back from swaying forward. All extremely important as you age, especially.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 7, 2015, 08:01 AM
    Just out of curiosity, why do you all think this is computer related? Carpal tunnel is now being diagnosed in people who text a lot. I was diagnosed with it many years ago because I was a cashier at a grocery store. There are many reasons people get diagnosed with carpal tunnel that have nothing to do with computers.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 7, 2015, 10:57 AM
    I didn't (mean to sound like I) assume, and tickle said 'like' meaning 'such as.'

I just know so many people who have a lot of wrist problems from they way they use their computers. I wrote what I wrote because it's a mini mission of mine for short people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrist pain [ 2 Answers ]

What do I do with wrist pain to make it better?

More wrist pain [ 1 Answers ]

I have had problems with my wrist a lot and now it's the bone right by my thumb and the one on the other side hurts a little to on both wrist .Hurts at night to . I'm always on the computer or my phone . Is there anything I can do to make it stop . Or do something at night because it hurts at night...

Shoulder pain, wrist numbness, shooting pain in leg [ 1 Answers ]

I have been experiencing dull aching left shoulder pain ( heart is OK... been checked out). My left wrist is numb to touch. I was having left hand weakness and some trembling but that seems to have subsided. I have sporadic shooting pain down left leg, groin aches. All of this comes and goes.

Wrist pain [ 0 Answers ]

Hi well what has happened is that if I try to lrft any weight with my left wrist I get a pain down my wrist on the top and it goes half way down my arm, when the pain starts it is that bad that I just drop what I am holdinh but as soon as I have put it down the pain stopes. But lattely the pain...

View more questions Search