Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Whitmer23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2015, 11:02 PM
    Where is the air intake?
    There is a metal panel in the ceiling of the bathroom above the shower that when you turn the heat on it sounds like the sucking is coming through there. But there is an air intake where a filter goes in the hallway, but there is a dusty air duct running above that. So where is the air coming from since the noise is coming from the closed off space in bathroom?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2015, 09:48 AM
    Your post is a bit difficult to understand. You posted "intake". With a central system, there are heated air supply ducts with grills or diffusers and cold air return ducts with grills. It sounds like you have a central return ("intake"?) in the hall. "So where is the air coming from since the noise is coming from the closed off space in bathroom?" Air coming from what-? you said "sucking". You can use thin strips of toilet tissue to determine if air is being supplied or removed. I have never seen a cold air return over a shower but we have no idea as to how you system was installed. Typically, over the shower would be an exhaust vent to clear out the humid air. It should vent outside but in older homes it will vent into the attic. If you close off rooms, negative pressures can cause backflow, perhaps this is what is happening. Maybe redefine your terms and possibly a picture so we have a better understanding of what you actually have.
    Whitmer23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2015, 10:28 AM
    I am just trying to find the air return for the heat. I have pics, but it will not let me post it in this forum. Can I email to show?

Basically, where the filter goes in the hallway is a hole in the ceiling that contains just an air duct. The sound I was referring to was when the heat kicks on, you can hear it coming from inside the closed panel in the bathroom which I believe contains the furnace in the attic. I am just not sure where the air return would be?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 4, 2015, 11:12 AM
    Try the instructions in this link and see if it works for you.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cats/h...to-678911.html
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2015, 02:05 PM
    My guess would be "where the filter goes in the hallway". Filters are in returns. That duct should be attached to the return side of the air handler. Have you ever looked at the heating unit? "inside the closed panel in the bathroom which I believe contains the furnace in the attic". Can you explain that a little better, I'm lost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calculate size of air intake for air conditioner [ 3 Answers ]

We have replaced our air conditioner and it has a higher capacity than the old one. We were told to increase the size of our air intake, but I am not sure how they calculated the square footage (they told us to double the size). How do you calculate the proper size of the air intake? Any...

Intake air from outside? [ 1 Answers ]

For 95% new gas furnace

Air Intake Vent has very cold air coming out of it [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Trane air conditioning unit. My blower is located in my garage, which connects to the main air intake vent just inside my house. Just recently at the base of the vent where the air is taken in, it is noticeably cold. (very cold). Any ideas what might be the cause?

Fresh air intake [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Goodman gas furnace that's 90% efficient. I bought the equipment and hired an installer. He didn't put in any fresh air intake. There seems to be an intake opening (about 3 inches with crisscross grating) on the side of the unit near the gas line. The unit passed the rough in...

Will increasing the air intake allow the air conditoner to cool the house better? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 2400 sq ft house that was built in 2000. We were told by an air conditioner sales rep that our air conditioner is almost too small for our house. However, he said that if we increase the air intake by cutting another hole in the ceiling it should improve it. Meaning that on the hot 107...

View more questions Search