Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fletch99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2015, 06:43 PM
    Georgia- "First Offender" program 30 years ago... now what?
    I've been arrested just once. However, it was in Georgia in the 80s. I was 17, but they treated me as an adult. It was a felony. Anyway, my lawyer worked out a "first offender" program thing, where I'd plead guilty, but adjudication would be withheld. I got a fine and some probation. After completing the probation, the adjudication was officially entered as "not guilty" and my file was sealed. I have a document somewhere stating, among other things "no criminal intent in this case" from the state of Georgia, signed by the judge.

HOWEVER... most, if not all applications (not just for employment) these days asks "have you ever been convicted of, or PLEAD nolo contendre or guilty to a felony?"

I contacted an attorney in GA a year or so about this. He advised that I absolutely did not plead guilty to a felony, because what I did was before any trial. ?? He was quite adamant about it. However, I have to wonder. If I stood in front of a judge and said "guilty".....isn't pleading guilty? This attorney to whom I spoke kept saying "no you didn't, because it was before a trial". Not sure what to do.

I guess I'm just trying to determine the best way to answer the "have you ever plead guilty" question on an application. Don't want to lie... but if you answer the other way... you're out of the running immediately. Thanks much in advance!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 3, 2015, 07:40 AM
    Take your lawyer's advice. You may recall "pleading guilty", but what actually happened is that you agreed that a "guilty" plea could be entered if a conviction was subsequently entered (which was not).

if you are hired, and In the extremely unlikely event that your employer subsequently finds out about it, you could quite honestly say "In answering the question, I consulted with an attorney, who advised me to answer 'no'."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DO NOT take First Offender in GEORGIA! [ 0 Answers ]

First Offender in Georgia will still show up on your BackGround Report. Even if you get it "expunged"- the "expungement" is from GCIC. If the BackGround check company uses a Court Runner, they will still find and report the records (my did). And will list the word "Felony". I have not been able to...

First offender act for a police officer charged in Georgia? [ 0 Answers ]

My husband was a Macon Police officer he just got terminated for felony theft by taking because a television set was delivered to our home by mistake by UPS and he decided to keep it against me warning him and begging him not to do it. They not only arrested him, they arrested me for the same...

I was arrested for misdemeanors in NYC ten years ago. Can I teach in Georgia? [ 2 Answers ]

I was arrested for shoplifting and theft by taking in NYC ten years ago. I have since graduated from a drug tx program in NYC, obtained a 4.0 college average and graduated college in 1997. I am living in Ga, I established a behavioral health center, 501C3 and successful ran the business for ten...

View more questions Search