Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jan 2, 2015, 07:31 AM
    Shadow's health
    Shadow is 14 years old and has developed a limp. She was seen by the vet for it and the vet was not concerned so we started treating her at home with glucosomine(spelling).
    It has seemed to increase in the amount of the limp. We are thinking arthritis due to her age and size. She is overweight but with three cats in the house it is hard to do portion control. They are all on a mature cat cat food, recommended by the vet.
    My questions:
    1. How do I tell if she is in pain? I know animals hid it well. She is still walking around, climbing on the bed for lovings, standing her ground with Owen by hissing at him and being a bully, eating, pooping etc etc.
    2. Is it worth a vet visit? For me it is 100 bucks at least to walk in the door plus any tests they deem necessary. An average vet visit can cost around 300 to 400 bucks for us when it is them being seen for issues.
    3. Can I add anything else to her diet to help out with joint issues?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 2, 2015, 09:50 AM
    I use glucosmine/condroitin (both in one pill) for my pets; as a daily habit. You know it goes by weight. It is a pretty inexpensive supplement, purchased in drug stores or health food stores. It was originally recommended years ago by a vet and I found it worked well. It helps for many joint issues. As for know when Shadow is in pain, you will know. She won't be jumping on the bed, become standofish and not herself. She sounds like she isn't in pain now.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 2, 2015, 09:54 AM
    TY tickle I will check out if we can find that right now she is only getting the glucosmine. I should add if she needs to go to the vet she will go. I have never kept my pets from the vet when needed. Just don't want to pay a bunch of money for them to say it is nothing/keep doing what you are doing.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2015, 10:04 AM
    I've been owned by cats since I was ten years old and have three rescues right now. If Shadow isn't howling or crying, especially when she moves or jumps up on something, I'm guessing she's not in pain. If she gets to the point of not being able to jump up on a couch or the bed, maybe do like we did with old cats -- set up "steps" (a sturdy box or two) for her. I don't think a vet visit is needed. Just figure out ways to make her life and moving around easier.
    Expert

Jan 2, 2015, 10:29 AM
    It is exactly what we do for the elderly. We maintain and improve if we can, their quality of life. It is the best we can do.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2015, 10:45 AM
    Tickle is spot on!

Rasputin was nearly 20, and was wobbly when he walked, but ALWAYS used the litter box -- never had an accident. During his last year, he liked to sleep under my grandmother's wooden rocker in a corner of my living room. Why there, we wondered. Then it hit us. It was next to the heat vent. So now we have two pet warming pads set up where the cats like to sleep. And Dido likes to curl up on my electric blanket in the evenings after my son turns it on to warm up my bed.

Mogrann, think heat as a remedy and maybe spend that vet money on pet/cat warming pads.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 2, 2015, 10:58 AM
    Thank you for the great suggestions.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 2, 2015, 02:36 PM
    Yes to heat! It is my personal drug of choice, and I bought a new one for myself and gave my old one to my dog. 50 watts is too much for a small pet, but I put it under a wide flat pillow on low. I also put boxes next to bed, couch, etc, as steps.

I have heard stories of glucosomine/chondroitin having almost instant effects on pets, but haven't tried it for my pets yet. (Tried it on myself and don't think it did anything after a month.)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2015, 03:04 PM
    I agree about the heat. Just make sure that it's not too hot. Pets sometimes don't feel when it's too warm and then risk burning themselves. I've gotten a burn from a simple heating pad. So monitor and make sure it's a nice warm, not hot, temperature.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 2, 2015, 03:13 PM
    Thank you all showed Henry most of these posts before he went to second job and he is picking shadow up the combo medication. I will show him the rest when I get home from my job
    Expert

Jan 2, 2015, 03:37 PM
    Oh, and I take the glusomine/controidtin myself, and have for years. Maybe that is why I can function at my age working a full time job. Who knows. The one you buy in the drug store is OK for animals too, and goes by weight. It is not expensive.

I wish you luck mogrann, we all love them so.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2015, 05:29 PM
    If he's limping, he's sore.
    If the above doesn't work, it would be worth getting an rx for an NSAID like Metacam, Rimadyl or Deramaxx from your clinic.
    Edit: Assuming this is a cat? The above work better for dogs - you can try a trial of cartrophen. Depending on where you live, Royal Canin makes a mobility diet that I have seen fantastic results with. My 20 year old is on it, and his arthritis is doing fantastic.
    Losing weight is the big one, honestly. You can do it! Our household has three cats and two dogs, all with different diets!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between public health and health promotion? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between public health and health promotion? And how is is related

Are games good to health or bad for health [ 12 Answers ]

I always play games but my family says it bad for me but I ignore them

A shadow of a shadow person? [ 2 Answers ]

First, I'll set the scene. I'm laying down on my bed on my left side facing my window blinds. On the other side of the room was my digital clock that shined a bright light onto the blinds and it was about two or three in the morning. SO... I suddenly awoke out of a deep sleep for no apparent...

Health insurance for diabetic, otherwise in good health [ 5 Answers ]

Next month, I will be landing in Texas as a new immigrant on my Green Card (female aged 55 years - not working). I have diabetese which is well controlled bu insulin and am otherwise in good health. Which companies would provide me a health insurance cover, even if they put a waiting period for the...

Know my career,my fathers health and my moms health [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am sonal,studying in t.y.bsc in microbiology. Usually attending college is like a burden for me,I fear a lot in public attention,sometimes even start shivering while giving presentations,due to fear I can't even concentrate in my studies and get poor marks even ,I don't feel like going to...

View more questions Search