Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thinkaboutit Posts: 270, Reputation: 5

Jan 1, 2015, 03:07 PM
    2 jobs which one?
    I've been going around town giving out me résumé and looking for some work for the school holidays. I got two offers one is at a pet store and the other is at a little restaurant. I'm not to sure which one to take. The waitress job is fairly easy I just have to take orders and clean tables and its an evening job so it will give me something to do in the evening, it also pays more than the pet store job. The pet store job has longer hours during the day but less money and a lot more work. But I do like animals. I'm not to sure which one to chose I asked me dad but he's away at the moment and I want to make the right choice. Which one do you think sounds better?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2015, 03:10 PM
    What would you do at the pet store?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 1, 2015, 03:16 PM
    I'd take the waitressing. Loving animals is nice; cleaning cages is going to get tiresome very fast for little money. I happen to not like pet stores who sell puppies. They come from puppy mills. It's good to have waitress on your resume for the future too.

I love animals! Nothing to do with love. Worry about what you love for a lifetime career later.

Jan 1, 2015, 03:25 PM
    The pet store job is cleaning the bird cages doing their water and seed, cleaning fish tanks and feeding them, restocking the shelves, serving customers and cleaning when store is closed. I don't have to clean the reptiles which is good because I hate snakes. Just not sure which one to take I'm not worried about the money not the reason why I'm looking for work. Just want to do something that will keep me busy. The pet store is from 9 am to 5pm the restaurant is from 4pm to 9 or 10 depends on how busy they are.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 1, 2015, 03:36 PM
    Could either one of them become a repeat job (would they welcome you back during the next school holiday) if you do a good job this time?

Jan 1, 2015, 03:43 PM
    Well the waitress job I can still do when I go back to school after school and weekends and the pet store one I would work on the weekends as well. But I'm not to sure if me dad is going to send me to bording school when school starts in February so not to sure. I suppose I should ask if either of them would have me back on school holidays.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jan 1, 2015, 03:47 PM
    You are going to be working for many years when you are an adult. If you are just looking for something to do and money is not the main thing, do what you would enjoy doing.
    I'm a pet lover and cleaning cages or not, I'd opt for the pet store
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 1, 2015, 04:54 PM
    Is your dad okay with you getting a job? After all the issues you've been having with him (please see past threads), I would think that this would be a huge leap of trust for him when he has very little trust in you right now.

Personally I'd take the pet store job. The restaurant job would put you around too many people and too many potential issues imo.

Jan 1, 2015, 08:32 PM
    Not to sure what me dad would think him and me step mum have gone away for a few days. He said he didn't care what I did anymore and I'm trying to show him I can be responsible and make good choices. I spoke to the owner of the pet store and he said if I start at 7 I can finish at 3 so then that would give me enough time to go home and change and then go to the restaurant its just around the corner. Then I would be busy and can't do anything stupid. Should I ask me dad first he said he didn't care what I do but then I suppose he might want me to ask first I don't know
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 2, 2015, 06:15 AM
    It seems sort of strange that you feel a need to ask your dad after all that has happened. He said what he said, and you now need to PROVE YOURSELF. It's a little late to start getting anxious about parental support in your decisions. And you are setting yourself up for getting neither job if you stall. Make a choice.

I wouldn't work 2 jobs. You will be so tired that you won't wake up in time to get to the pet store. Setting yourself up for a second fall.

Yes, it's admirable that you want to work to prove something. Just don't dive into the deep end of the pool.

Good luck. Decide today. You've heard us give different opinions. That's GOOD. The choice has to be YOURS.

Jan 2, 2015, 07:41 AM
    I wasn't really really worried about asking me dad about getting a job was just a bit worried that since I don't really think about stuff I do and it doesn't turn out to be the right choice that maybe I should. But he said he didn't care anymore so I'm not going to ask him and I figured that its probably better to take the pet store job as it during the day and I don't really want to have to ask me dad to pick me up after work and I don't really like the thought of walking home alone at night even if its just around the corner. So I'm going in tomorrow and telling them ill take the job.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2015, 07:47 AM
    Good for you! Hopefully they will be able to keep you on once you are back in school as well. If not, you can always look for something else at that time. I think you will enjoy the responsibility, not to mention earning some money. Take it seriously, do a good job at it, and it will be an excellent way to learn about being responsible.
    pawan121 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2015, 01:29 AM
    I think a waitress job is fairly easy comparison to the pet store job. I suggest you for the waitress job,because pet store job is very difficult to handled the pet animals,waitress job is nice job.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2015, 02:22 AM
    Witness in a busy place is hard work, demanding and often customers treat you poorly. But it can depends on what you think easy is.

I am so confused about asking your dad? Cell phones, email, my children live in two other countries and can call me anytime they want
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 21, 2015, 05:35 PM
    Post #11 will inform all those posting now that the OP (original poster) made a decision which job to take and no longer needs help deciding.

Perhaps this thread should be closed since this is no longer an issue?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Any Jobs in SC [ 4 Answers ]

:) Hello, my family and I are about to move to Columbia, South Carolina and my husband is looking for a JOB his interest is in Air Conditioning, we will be there in the mid of January. Does anyone have any interviews or do you know of anyone with interviews? Thank you.

Jobs for a 12 yr old [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me find a job that a 12 yr old could do

About jobs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my name is prasad from india,I am 26years of sge p;anning to move 2 australia for my higher studies by the end of this month am I able to get a parttime job,as I am moving early whereas my college is going to to get started on 14th of July.so I just need a small clarification about the jobs for...

What Jobs Right For ME ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey , I Was Really Look On Some Advice As I Am Now Coming Up To The End Of My School Days And I Still Don't Know What To Do With My Life? All My Friends Have Great Careers Ahead Of Them And I Have Nothing:( .I Really Feel Like I Am Not Clever Enough For Most Jobs And I Know Everyone Says This...

View more questions Search