Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 3, 2015, 07:09 PM
    Camels are very important if you are in a desert. So is a bureaucracy if you just lost your job and have cancer. If you need something you put up with the down side of getting it.

What are you going to do? Shoot the camel for sticking his nose in the tent, or tie him up further away from the tent?

Bureaucracy, like a camel, needs control and oversight, not elimination. Ever hear of throwing the baby out with the bath water?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 3, 2015, 07:19 PM
    Bureaucracy ... needs control and oversight
    Never gonna happen. Hasn't for a century, what's to make it change?

Edit with an example: The EPA was started to clean up pollution and make the country livable. Half a century later, the bureaucrats are trying to justify their salaries by stopping the Keystone XL pipeline which will reduce the dangers of oil spills from trucks and trains that are much more hazardous to the environment.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamescon...truck-or-boat/
    Expert

Jan 3, 2015, 07:31 PM
    You get tired enough of the camel sticking his head in the tent and do something about it. Same with bureaucracy. Or anything else that ain't working efficiently.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 3, 2015, 07:38 PM
    You get tired enough of the camel sticking his head in the tent and do something about it
    Weren't you just arguing against doing something about it?

Go ahead, cut the government programs and many who need services won't get them
    Yes, I think you were.
    Expert

Jan 3, 2015, 07:56 PM
    You missed my sarcastic wit. Darn that sarcasm font!!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2015, 12:48 AM
    Point is Tal, you can't move bureaucracy it is relentless force every growing, so the point is you move the tent. While ever you have a choice between one bureaucracy and another, which is the choice you have, you will have bureaucracy, howelse are your representatives going to deliver the programs you know you want after you have been told you want them
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2015, 05:40 AM
    Statists believe with religious intensity that only the government can provide charity. Libertarians believe with equal fervor that charity should not be funded at gunpoint.
    Surely those can't be the only two options available... unless you're slanting the discussion so that only you can win.
    Expert

Jan 4, 2015, 07:24 AM
    To the subject (And bureaucratic BS),

All Those Alternatives to Planned Parenthood? In Texas, At Least, They Don't Exist

As you know I live in Texas, and have watched this play out as PP clinics are closing, and there are no alternatives, and we aren't talking abortions either, just (poor) women's health care services. Even poor CONSERVATIVE females are suffering under the States handling of (poor) women's health care services.

Like I said, throwing out the baby with the bath water.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 4, 2015, 03:40 PM
    Tal, that article is almost 4 years old. It is from 2011. Surely with Obamacare in full swing there are plenty of options as everyone has healthcare right ?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 4, 2015, 10:57 PM
    In 1992, I went to Planned Parenthood to confirm my suspected pregnancy. I was 16, a junior in high school. I was 10 weeks pregnant; due to irregular periods, I didn't "catch" it the day my period was "due", because I didn't really have a due period--despite being on birth control pills. Sometimes the "blanks" made my period come, sometimes it wouldn't. I was a straight A student, and had been with my boyfriend for more than 2 years.

I got pregnant the 2nd time I had sex. I was using 3 forms of birth control--correctly, because I was TERRIFIED of getting pregnant.

The first thing they did at PP? Got me in to see a counselor. That counselor gave me ALL of my options--adoption, abortion, and parenting. She gave me her phone number so I could call her day or night if I had more questions, or just needed to talk. I decided to get an abortion... only it was SOOOOO expensive. I had to borrow money from 5 friends to be able to afford it. But, I figured, if I couldn't afford an abortion, how the hell was I going to be able to afford a kid? And please remember--I had 3 weeks to figure out what I was going to do, because my state doesn't allow 2nd trimester abortions. Before it even got down to the wire, I changed my mind--in part because that same counselor really talked to me about adoption.

So please--don't give me the crap that PP doesn't talk about adoption, or tries to foist abortion on women who would otherwise choose adoption. I'm proof that that is not the case, at least not always.

That said--I wouldn't force an adoption on my worst enemy. On women who have proven they can't raise kids--absolutely. Take the kids away at the first sign of abuse and sterilize the parents. But don't make a 12 or 14 or 17 year old live with giving away their child when society SAYS they applaud women choosing adoption, but they don't support those women when they go through depression and become suicidal afterward. The rhetoric ends up being "I could never give MY child away!". You are made to feel less, often by friends and family who you need to support you, for not choosing parenting. I got HATE letters from my grandma and great-grandma telling me that I was a monster for giving my own flesh and blood away. So please--back off what you don't know about. I STILL have issues with trust and with depression because I chose adoption 22 years ago---and I CHOSE it. Eyes wide open, thinking I knew what I was giving up. I ended up in the psych ward 6 months after the adoption was final, because I'd attempted suicide for the first time. The next couple times, I was treated for the attempt and released, with a suggestion that I get counseling---that wasn't, of course, provided by my non-existent insurance.

I've heard from so many anti-choicers about how it's murder and how you have to live with that forever. Guess what? You have to live with whatever choice you make forever. And adoption has side effects that are just now, FINALLY getting studied---including unexplained infertility. How's that for a kicker? Make the best choice you can and give your child to someone else to raise, for the benefit of all of you, and then find out you can't have any more kids. You gave the only one you'd have away. No wonder the number of women choosing adoption is going down.

So yeah--when you are facing that decision yourself, or your daughter is, come back on your moral high horse. For most people the only moral abortion is the one that affects THEM.

And don't even get me started on birth defects and fetuses that won't survive birth. There are so many medical reasons for an abortion that I'm betting your average hospital performs more of them than Planned Parenthood does. Planned Parenthood, however, helps those who cannot afford to go to the hospital and who don't have insurance for birth control and a regular OB/Gyn and yearly pap smears. They serve a vital area of medical care in this country, especially for poor women. I don't CARE that they perform abortions, even if I would (probably) not get an abortion myself. However, I'm 40 now. If I got pregnant (and we ARE trying), there is a much greater chance that the baby would have birth defects. Would I have an abortion if MY child were the one with birth defects, with a condition that would cause him/her to be in pain from the moment of birth? I honestly don't know. I dread having to face that question. But I would hope that love for my child would spare him/her suffering where I could--even if that meant not giving birth.
    Expert

Jan 5, 2015, 07:21 AM
    Thank you ladies, for those first hand accounts. The emotional impact on females and pregnancy has always been all but IGNORED by activists and do gooders of moral values.

@CDAD,

Texas Abortion Clinics Seen Facing Long Odds in Fight on Limits - Businessweek

Texas ranks highest for uninsured after Obamacare (Government blog) | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Obamacare leaves millions uninsured. Here's who they are. - The Washington Post

So while health services for poor people are being cut, many are still left behind from the very law to help them by conservative state legislatures refusing to expand Medicaid. I only linked the older article as an example of how long this assault against economically stressed females has been going on.
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2015, 02:07 PM
    Hi tal I think it was always known the ACA wasn't a catch all. The only way you will get universal health care is to implement universal health care which is a big strain on the budget and therefore unpalitiable. One could expect that those not covered might also be those who aren't voters but your stats suggest a high impact on whites and those bulletproof 18 to 44 but the full impact of penalties hasn't hit yet. Those people are going to be between a rock and a hard place
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2015, 11:34 AM
    According to Guttmacher 89% of ALL counties in the US have no abortion provider. Why pick on Texas?

And P.S., try addressing why 42 percent of women having abortions live below the poverty line instead of just expanding the bureaucracy.
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2015, 11:48 AM
    42 percent of women having abortions live below the poverty line
    Seems about in line with current stats, nothing unusual about that.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2015, 05:21 PM
    Seems about in line with current stats, nothing unusual about that.
    And you have no problem with poor women being disproportionately affected by abortion?
    Expert

Jan 6, 2015, 07:00 PM
    How are they affected?
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2015, 07:22 PM
    Abortion is a choice therefore you can't say they are affected by it without being specific, abortion is a cure without a disease
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 6, 2015, 07:34 PM
    I'm going to hazard a guess that poor women are 'affected' by abortion as you so delicately put it because they are more likely to have not planned for sex and for birth control, or been able to get to a clinic, or to get good advice from family and friends. That's just for starters. I hope no one is thinking there's a conspiracy afoot to influence any particular groups of women.
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2015, 04:11 AM
    poor women being disproportionately affected
    But the percentage is not disproportionate. That 40% equals the poverty level + no medical insurance numbers in the US.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 7, 2015, 10:25 AM
    This isn't a long story but I think relative to what Joy is talking about.

When we lived and worked in Michigan years ago on green cards, my husband started up his own business and money was tight and no benefits, I got pregnant. The hospital in Flint gave me the names of a lot of free clinics for testing, pregnancy care, etc. and it was all free service and information. That was 32 years ago, there must be the same clinics available to women now, right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnancy and parenthood [ 1 Answers ]

I had sex with a one man got pregnant and at 5 weeks had sex with another man anyway the baby comes with features of the second man. He is a different race.

Legal Advise on Parenthood [ 1 Answers ]

Good Afternoon, I am new here, so hope I am in the right topic. I am an South-African & am strongly considering leaving my boyfriend. My question: Does the law force me to tell him that I am pregnant? He is not physical abusive & has a daughter that he takes good enough care of. If I...

Planned Parenthood STD testing [ 1 Answers ]

I took J_9's advice (well actually by the time I posted that I had an appointment at the center, but anyway), and went to Planned Parenthood to get my weird skin irritation in my vagina looked at. They took a sample for chylmidia (sp? Sorry) and gonorrhea (I think I spelled that right) with a...

View more questions Search