Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mnsss4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2014, 07:11 PM
    Grounds for divorce in GA
    My wife and I have been married for 20 years. She has not worked, is nit employable and does not have any marketable skills. She is 52 years old and a foreign national with poor English speaking skills. She raised our son, as a stay at home mom. He is 18 now.

For the past 3.5 years she has refused any intimate contact, to include sex, holding hands, hugging, or any other form of close marital contact. She does sleep in the same bed (Kingsize), cooks meals, cleans the house etc.

I can't tolerate this any longer, and intend to file for divorce. On what grounds should I file? Also I assume there is a large risk of my being ordered to pay alimony. Given GA law in this regard, the amount would be up to the discretion of the judge.

Any advice or thoughts?

Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2014, 05:25 AM
    Georgia does not require grounds, you merely file. Expect that she will get some alimony since she has not worked, And you need to stop saying she can not be employed, since that only hurts you. She may not try to be employed.
    hire an attorney and file
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 31, 2014, 05:31 AM
    Most states no longer require specific grounds. Georgia is one of them. However, there are grounds that can be used, especially if she contests the divorce. This site should prove helpful about both filing and alimony. Georgia Divorce Basics - What You Need To Know | DivorceNet.com
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 31, 2014, 05:33 AM
    When was the last time she visited her country? Would she like to go? Give her a trip home. When she's there, ask her if she wants to stay. She may be depressed and homesick now that your son is grown.

Just a thought. You can still file the divorce papers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounds for Divorce [ 4 Answers ]

I've lived in Virginia my whole life, and recently my husband and I split up. We have been married for 8 years and throughout the years he has been continuously verbally abusive with the occasional physical abuse thrown in there... for example, he has done things to include choking me, punched me...

Grounds for divorce [ 3 Answers ]

This guy called up his lawyer to tell him he was filing for divorce, and the lawyer inquired as to the grounds for the suit. "I've got grounds, all right," sputtered the irate husband. "Can you believe my wife told me I'm a lousy lover?" "That's why you're suing?" pursued his lawyer. "Of...

View more questions Search