Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dogbreath Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2005, 10:47 AM
    Creating one partition?
    Running MS XP SP2. Onboard hdd is 120GB. It's formatted as follows:-

C:\ Primary Partition-NTFS-58.59GB-38% free
    E:\ Partition-NTFS-53.19GB-39% free (Logical Drive)

I would prefer the disk to all be seen as C:\

E:\ currently contains a number of Acronis images of C:\ which are not essential.

Can this be achieved and if so how? Any help much appreciated.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Feb 27, 2005, 11:31 AM
    Yes. You will loose all data on the removed partition. Read MS Knowledge Base article 309000. You can find it by going to Help and Support and searching for the number.

Feb 27, 2005, 11:33 AM
    Thanks for that walt17. I'll have a look there. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2005, 11:42 AM
    First, I do NOT recommend this. You are better off with separate partitions. I recommend at least 3 separate partitions. The C Drive should have only the OS. Then use a D Drive for data and an E drive for programs. Such a structure makes it easier to share, secure and backup your data and system.

I use Norton Ghost to create an Image of my C drive. If I have a serious problem I can just restore that image. This leaves my data and programs unaffected (except for programs installed after the last image was created). I backup my D drive daily. So all my data files are secure.

I see no advantage to commingling everything into one partition. However, if you want to do this without wiping out your syste, I would recommend getting Partition Magic. This is a great utilitiy that allows you to resize partitions without loss of data.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Feb 27, 2005, 11:48 AM
    Howdy:

As per Scott's post, if you want to keep the majority of the data, then a third-party program such as PartitionMagic is mandatory..

If you follow Walt's advice and don't really mind losing all info on BOTH partitions, then a complete re-partition and format will suffice.. Of course, that would mean a total re-install of XP and everything else you may have for programs!

Murray
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2005, 05:15 AM
    One partition
    Hi,
    Many prefer just one partition, with C: drive; as I do... others don't.
    If you wish to do this, then the other experts have offered ideas.
    BE SURE you back up any files or data you want to keep. Normally, you will need a burner drive to do this, backing it up on a CD-R/RW, etc.
    I'm sure you already know that you will then be starting with a completely "new" hard drive, having to re-install all hardware such as printer, scanner,etc; and also re-install all programs, like Word, etc.
    If you need instructions, step by step, on how to create just one partition, please post back, using this same thread.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Feb 28, 2005, 08:05 AM
    Thanks you guys for giving me food for thought. I will post back when I've had chance to digest my options! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to format one partition? [ 6 Answers ]

I partitioned h. drive 80 Gb on two partitions. One is for OS and applications (10 Gb) and other (the rest) for everything. I want to format 1st partition w/out damaging other because, I guess, it cougth a virus. How can I do this? Thank you.

Partition or not? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maxtor hard drive with 41 GB of free space and 16GB of used space.It never really differs from this. Should I compress the drive which is a option in the Properties folder for the drive or partition and if so how? Thanks

Partition for Mac & IBM [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to have an external USB 2.0 hard drive, that can be used on both mac and IBM systems. Would need to access the files from either OS. I have no idea about Mac at all, and don't know if Mac can read FAT or NTFS. Any help is appreciated. Many thanks :)

Partition question [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I have a ? About partitioning, I want to partition my new PC with out going through the steps of using my reformat disk, is there any way to do this without going through this process? I don't want all my stuff just c drive only, any help with this matter would be gratefully appreciated, thxs...

View more questions Search