Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brightsky Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Dec 27, 2014, 01:08 PM
    Which option should I use for an email address?
    I'll be graduating from grad school with a master's degree soon and I don't plan on using my school assigned email address once I graduate. For resume/professional use, I created a gmail account that is my first name, middle initial and last name so if my name were Jane Z. Doe my username would look like janezdoe. But my actual name is much longer than that and is actually 14 characters long. The only other format in which I was able to get my name was first name initial, last name followed by first name initial & middle initial. It looks like jdoejz. It's shorter than the other one. I don't necessary like the idea of having my full name (middle initial included) as my email address (unless it was just first name, last name). Do you think that the second option would be appropriate to use for professional/resume use or should I use the one that consists of my full name?

The other option I was thinking about was adding the initials of the profession that I'm going into at the end of my first initial and last name. However, because I'm not licensed yet and will only have a master's degree, I don't want to risk giving people the wrong impression or rubbing them the wrong way.

I know asking about an email address is a bit silly but, I'd like to know your opinions.

Thank you.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 27, 2014, 01:19 PM
    You can have several gmail accounts; make one especially for resume sending and make it look as professional as you want. This is the ONLY one you will be using for resumes. No one receiving expects you to use your last name, that is silly. I have one gmail, that I did use for resumes at one time, and still use it for my stained glass business, and that is okay. It incorporates my two first names and a year and that I think is appropriate for anything.

Don't over think this. It get really confusing and irritating when you start trying to make a name that will be used professionally.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2014, 02:50 PM
    It is only an email address. You can use "Gizmo" Many people use avatars. As long as you have identity within the resume, it makes little difference. Tickle is right, ma0641 gives you a clue!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone has hacked my email address book and is sending spam email to addresses in [ 2 Answers ]

Someone has hacked into my email address book and is sending spam to addresses from my book. How can I stop this?

My Ex Hacked into my email Account and changed the password and alternet email address [ 1 Answers ]

My email that was broken into was [email protected] and the alternet email address was [email protected]. My password and alternet email address was changed I think he might of even closed the account I have a lot of important contacts on that account it there any way you can reset the password...

My Ex Hacked into my email Account and changed the password and alternet email address [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way you can reopen my account and reset my password for [email protected]

Can personal information, I.e. My address - be traced via my email address [ 2 Answers ]

When I send an email using i.e. Hotmail, can the person receiving it retrieve any personal information, i.e. my home address :eek:etc. somehow? If my real name is not displayed anywhere on the email I am sending, is there still a way to trace personal information about me? Thank you!

View more questions Search