Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linda cannon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Assets considered for payment of nursing home care
    Last December, I loaned my mother money to purchase a co-op share in Florida. We put the share in her name. My mother has recently taken sick and will need nursing home care. At the time of the loan, we did a 7% note from her payable to me and had it notorized at a bank. According to the agreement, the loan is payable at the time the co-op share is sold. Do I need to record a lien somewhere to protect my interest? My concern, is that since the share is entirely in her name, that it will be considered as part of her estate and all of the proceeds will be required to be used for her nursing home care. She otherwise has very limited assets.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Yes the note should have been done as a mortgage and a lien filed against the co-op shares. When purchasing a co-op you aren't actually purchasing property. You purchase shares in a corporation. Those shares entitle you to use of the co-op unit while you own those shares. Unless you have your interest in the shares recorded, then the whole value of the co-op will be considered part of her assets.
    linda cannon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Is it too late to record my share. If not, how do I go about doing that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2007, 09:38 AM
    It probably isn't too late. I would contact the co-op board about how to do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Behind on moobile home payment [ 7 Answers ]

I am 2 months behind on my mobile home payment and they are threatening reposission... im not sure what we need to do about handeling the situation we have three samll daughters ages 2, 6, and 7 and my husband is the only one that workd cause we cannot afford daycare... we are trying our bes to...

Nursing home [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My sister called me last night and said that she was thinking about putting my father in a nursing home.she said that she went to a meeting that the speaker said that if one of the spouses goes to a nursing home the other spouse could keep up to 60,000 dollars , anything above that in bank...

Nursing Home Resident needs help [ 12 Answers ]

Hello everybody, I hope you all can help me. I'm a nursing home administrator in Texas. One of my residents was recently turned down by Medicaid because his bank statements showed he had, at one point in the near past, too much money in his bank account. When I researched the issue, I found...

When can Calif. Step in and put mom in nursing home? [ 2 Answers ]

My mom lives in California. Dad passed away three years ago and it is just my sister and I and mom. I live in Wyoming, my sister in CA. My mom has my sister at her becken call and won't allow her to have a life with her son. Mom is very abusive to my sister and my sister is always calling us to...

Nursing care plan (prenatal) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I was assigned to do a nursing care plan on a patient (I am a student nurse) who would like to take a regular vitamin rather than a vitamin that includes folic acid. I have 2 care plan books & none seem to have any supporting evidence of any good nursing diagnoses or plans of care in this...

View more questions Search