Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2014, 07:26 PM
    Studor Vent question #2
    OK. Let's try this again. Want to install a studor vent on the extension past the p trap. Do-able?? Name:  photo 3 (3).JPG
Views: 1004
Size:  57.6 KBName:  photo 1 (9).JPG
Views: 636
Size:  58.1 KB
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2014, 07:34 PM
    Something like this? Rectorseal 97402 Magic Trap And Tee - Ceiling Mounted General Purpose Storage Racks - Amazon.com
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 21, 2014, 08:53 AM
    Yes, that should be doable.

If you don't have enough room between the trap and the wall for the AAV, put in a 22 1/2 or 45 degree street ell at the wall and turn the trap to angle.

It is all about how much distance you have between the sink tail pipe and the wall. You may be able to remove that section of pipe between the trap arm and the wall and install a tee (with threaded fitting out the side), cut off some to the trap arm and reinstall. When cutting the trap arm, keep in mind that a compression fitting will seal only on a straight section of pipe. Don't get to close the turn.
    Note that I am assuming that the pipe between the trap arm and the wall is regular PVC and not the thin wall stuff.

May I ask why you need to put in an AAV?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2014, 11:58 AM
    Hello Jlisenbe,

hkstroud gave you excellent advices, I also have an image attached for information, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Dec 21, 2014, 03:36 PM
    Thanks to both of you. HK, when I did this work several years ago, I had never heard of an AAV. Since this kitchen was on the first floor of a two story, I didn't think running a vent to the ceiling was a good option. I ran the drain about 10 feet to an adjacent bathroom and hoped it would be close enough to that vent to work. Poor hope. (Wish I had known about this site back then.) At any rate, when we get a good volume of water down that drain, it gurgles loudly for 15 or 20 seconds. I am thinking this AAV will alleviate that.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2014, 03:56 PM
    John, including the 4", how much clearance above the extension will I need? I have a good 10 inches or so. Will that do it?
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2014, 07:51 PM
    Jlisenbe,

4" is the minimum requirement 10" is OK as long you be able to install and remove the Studor in case you need to, Thanks.

John

Dec 21, 2014, 07:58 PM
    Aaaaaaaaa
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Dec 21, 2014, 08:03 PM
    Many thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, HK, take a look at the link I posted above. Looks like that would be ready to go right out of the box.

Dec 21, 2014, 08:59 PM
    Yes, I have looked at the link. It does look like the easy way to go but who wants plumbing to be easy. Look at Home Depot and Lowe's. They may the same item.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2014, 06:50 AM
    Will do.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 24, 2014, 06:28 PM
    Home Depot carries them... I always get them from HD... but they don't call them "Studor Vent"... I think something like "Automatic Air Vent" or "Air Admittance Vent"... Also, don't look for them in Plumbing Aisle as HD folks usually don't know what AAV is for... so they put them in different aisle

Milo
    Uber Member

May 3, 2015, 12:45 PM
    Just to catch up, the vent is installed and working great. Sure is nice to have water drain from the sink and not hear the gurgling sound. Thanks for all the advice.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

May 3, 2015, 02:31 PM
    Thanks for the update.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Studor vent (air admittance vent) [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a utility sink in my garage, which will require approx a 30 ft run of 11/2 " drain pipe. The 11/2" will be going into the 3" main drain line. I should be able to get 1/4" per foot pitch over the 30 ft run. My guestion is ,will I need to install a studor vent at the sink trap?

Studor vent vs. Vent pipe [ 8 Answers ]

Applications for each? Differences? Pros/Cons?

Studor vent [ 8 Answers ]

I have been reading the problem that one man had with the vent? I am confused. If you remove the vent and the water goes out with no problem and does not back up even through the open pipe why would the drain be clogged? I have the problem with the vent on the water backs up in both sinks. ...

Studor Vent [ 1 Answers ]

I recently got a new roof (flat) after Hurricane Wilma. My bathroom vent pipe had blown out through the roof and the roofers stupidly tarred over the drain. Not wanting to open up the roof, the contracted plumber said that a studor vent could be used instead of opening up the hole on the roof. Even...

View more questions Search