Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clb2014 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2014, 07:37 PM
    Adoption with unknown father.
    I have no idea who my daughter's father is but my husband wants to adopt her she is only 2 and to her he is daddy how do we go about having him put as her father?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 18, 2014, 08:52 PM
    You will have to attempt to find the father of the child. Have you contacted all of your partners from that time frame to let them know that they may have a child? The courts will require you to make an exhaustive attempt to find the bio father of the child.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 19, 2014, 04:13 AM
    Since there is not a father to sign over his rights, it will be harder. You will need an attorney and file for the adoption. There will be a need to attempt to determine who the father is. If it is a matter of two or three men, perhaps paternity tests will be required.

The final requirements will be determined by the court rules.
    Victoria Z Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2014, 09:10 PM
    If she has your last name and you were not married to her father, then it will be very easy for your husband to adopt her
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 25, 2014, 08:30 PM
    If she has your last name and you were not married to her father, then it will be very easy for your husband to adopt her
    This is totally inaccurate. In fact, not knowing who the father is will make it harder. The court will require that you try to find the father and get his approval for the adoption. This means you will have to contact any many you had sex with during the conception period, get DNA testing and, once identified, get his signoff on the adoption.

There is always the possibility, the father will want to be a father.
    Victoria Z Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2014, 09:26 PM
    Well sorry but I'm just going off my own experience in California. My baby was in an adoption plan, of course I couldn't go through with it at the end, but I was in a relationship with her father for four years. He knew about it and tried to fight to keep her. They said it depended how he acted during the pregnancy and if he helped at all financially and emotionally. The attorney told me if he had a criminal history it would be almost impossible for him to keep the baby. He said not to put his name on the birth certificate and then he would have no rights at all
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 30, 2014, 05:36 AM
    Well sorry but I'm just going off my own experience in California. ...He said not to put his name on the birth certificate and then he would have no rights at all
    First, this is an international site. So you can't answer a question based solely on your experience in one instance.

Second, who said that about leaving the name off)? The attorney? If so, I would get another attorney. It is not true that a father left off the birth certificate has no rights at all. It just means he has to go to court to enforce his rights. While a criminal record is going to make it real tough to get custody, it wouldn't be impossible. And, as I said, in the case of an adoption, the court will require that the father be identified.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jan 5, 2015, 12:00 PM
    I really enjoy myself reading posts as yours!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption laws Ohio father blocking adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I have a now seven year old boy. His father lives in Ohio and has been ordered to pay child support which he has done for the past three years almost consistently. He has no contact with his child and I can count on my hands the number of times he has seen him while we too lived in Ohio. He has had...

Step parent adoption, biological father unknown [ 21 Answers ]

My daughter is two, and calls my boyfriend dada, we have plans to get married. He asked about adopting her recently. He works, makes good money, pays the bills, about me a new car, I'm currently pregnant with his child. We live in Kentucky. I however do not know who her biological father is. I know...

Can I give my baby for adoption if the father is unknown? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in a serious situation and think adoption will be the best thing for my baby now,but the father is unknown, for more information and help please email me at EMAIL REMOVED

Can the birth father stop an adoption, even if he is unfit as a father? [ 12 Answers ]

I am 27 weeks pregnant. The birth father is my ex boyfriend of a year and a half. We do not have a healthy relationship, and I do not want the child around him at all. He has a history of drug and alcohol abuse, his current priority, (and his main priority for as long as I have known him), is...

Adoption from biological Father to Step Father [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: One of my employees has children by her now husband and former husband. Her present husband wants to adopt her two children from her former husband. The biological Father is willing to relinquish his rights. She wants to draw up the papers without an Attorney because of the cost. If...

View more questions Search