Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2014, 07:00 PM
    GPS
    Hello:

Is there commercial software that a private person can buy that can track my location via GPS?? If so, is there software that I can buy that will BLOCK it? Is there a phone I can buy that WON'T allow tracking? Is there a way I can turn off GPS tracking on my iPhone? Is there anything I need to know about it?

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 16, 2014, 08:21 PM
    If you are using an iPhone shut off FIND MY PHONE in settings. Also How to Disable GPS Tracking on an iPhone | Chron.com
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2014, 03:00 AM
    How to Turn off GPS on the iPhone: 5 Steps (with Pictures)

With Android phones it's even simpler, only two quick steps. Basically turn off services that you're not using including Bluetooth and Wifi. Apple typically always keeps these on be default. Turning off these services will also increase your battery life.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 17, 2014, 04:27 PM
    What exactly are you worried about as far as tracking goes? Is it a phone you have or that someone is tracking you with a devce? Also do you have a car / truck with onstar ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2014, 06:30 PM
    With that said, if and when you use the phone, tracking can be done, ( at least by the government) and I am sure, some private agencies, that can track you to at least the nearest cell tower.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2014, 08:57 PM
    Hello again, Friends:

I'm not worried about the government... I'm not doing anything they're interested in.

I want to give my phone number to some people but I absolutely don't want them to be able to track my phone, and thereby finding out where I live.. I don't care about the nearest cell tower. I care about my HOUSE.

I've read where I have to, at least, disconnect some GPS services, and keep them turned off.. But, I LOVE maps and other services that use my location.. I don't wanna lose those. What can I do? A burner phone??

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2014, 04:58 AM
    The regular joe, or even a tech like me, cannot track you without installing something on your phone first that would give me access to your live location. At the beginning of the iPhone Apple added geotagging to all pictures taken with the phone; that way if you posted or sent that picture of your house ("hey, check out our Xmas lights this year") the receiver could pinpoint where you lived with the image metadata. Apple has since turned that off be default.

You don't have to explain why you want to turn off services on a phone you own, it's really no one's business. Do you need to get a burner phone? Nah, get an Android - it's super easy to turn off services as needed. Here's how it's done on the phone I have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD9DOVic0Kg
    See how you pull down the bar and ALL the services are there for you to turn on/off as required.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 18, 2014, 05:14 AM
    Buy a burner that you pay for in cash. That way you always have an extra phone and the people you are concerned with can not interrupt your life at will. Shutting down services and turning them on again is very easy on most modern phones. Mostly this is about what makes you feel comfortable.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 18, 2014, 06:56 PM
    Or you could do a voip setup using Nettalk or vonage

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GPS... Which Will It Be..? [ 3 Answers ]

The Task at hand is Replacing our GPS which grew legs.. We previously had a Garmin, the Garmin model we requested from the local Canadian Tire Store could only be ordered Online from their Website.. Price & Availability are upper most, they had 3 choses between Garmin / Magellan / TomTom.. The...

Gps [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have gps as a part of their conditions of probation??

Gps [ 3 Answers ]

Can you use your GPS to find your car at the airport parking or at Disneyland? Do you need to download something?

What is the difference between gps and a-gps [ 1 Answers ]

what is the difference between gps and a-gps?????????

Gps [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to disable gps that has been installed in a company truck?

View more questions Search