Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheNatureGirl Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2014, 05:52 PM
    Is 30x10^8 equivalent to 3x10^-9?
    I am new to scientific notation and I am a year ahead in math so this is kind of hard for me. So I think that the equation 30x10^-9 should be corrected to 3x10^-9. But I want to be able to show my work, and I don't know how to. I just need some guidance. By the way ^ means raised to (a power). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 17, 2014, 06:44 AM
    The title of your post is different than the numbers in the body of your post, so I'm not sure what yuor question is. However, from the title:

I don't see how you ended up with a -9 for the exponent. Remember that when multiplying numbers with exponents the exponents add, so for example . Using the numbers in the body of your post:

TheNatureGirl Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2014, 04:44 PM
    Oh sorry, typos. The original equation was 30x10^-8. I had to correct it to proper scientific notation, and I thought the answer was 3x10^-9. But I now see the answer is 3x10^-7. This makes sense when you lay it out. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Equivalent units and cost per equivalent unit [ 0 Answers ]

Hi! I'm very happy to have found this site. I'm looking for someone to help with my homework. I'm taking all online courses and I don't have a tutor like many of the other students in the class. I have no-one to check my work. Please help! I've attached the problem as a pdf and my attempt at the...

Equivalent Units and Cost per Equivalent UnitWeighted-Average Method [ 2 Answers ]

Equivalent Units and Cost per Equivalent Unit—Weighted-Average Method Kalox, Inc. manufactures an antacid product that passes through two departments. Data for May for the first department follow: Gallons Materials Labor Overhead Work in process, May 1 80,000 $ 68,600 $ 30,000 $ 48,000...

View more questions Search