Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    isisgg Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2014, 08:24 PM
    I'm scared
    isisgg Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2014, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Yes, it is frustrating. You need to be your own advocate and do your homework to make the decision that is best for you.

You are past childbearing years. While a hysterectomy may not cure endometriosis, it could potentially save your life.

As I said previously, I am a cancer survivor. If I were in your shoes I would go through with the surgery. While I didn't go through radiation, I can promise you that chemo is rough. Possibly one of the hardest things I've gone through in my life.

Have to spread the love Joy. You did some great research there.
    You are a fighter. Thank u
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 15, 2014, 04:54 AM
    Thanks J_9. A bit of research was nothing. Thank YOU for being here to help so many others.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 15, 2014, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by isisgg View Post
    I'm scared
    Tell us what you are scared of. Maybe we can help you.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Dec 17, 2014, 07:01 AM
    I am an ovarian cancer survivor and my aunt was dx with breast cancer, so it's possible we carry the BRCA genes, but neither of us have been tested yet. I give you credit for embarking on this journey.

My simple advice is to take your time making this decision. Yes, BRCA indicates a higher risk of developing breast (and related) ovarian cancers. No, it does not mean you WILL develop either. In the same way, a hysterectomy will not 100% guarantee you will not develop ovarian cancer, but it will put the odds in your favor.

In essence, take your time deciding what you are comfortable with. You haven't received a cancer diagnosis yet, so you have time to think about this. It is not an easy decision to make! Did either physician discuss full or partial hysterectomies? Full (ovary removal--which is what I assume they'd recommend), MIGHT involve hormone replacement, etc. It all very much depends on your overall health, health history, family history, etc. All things we can't help with much. However, we are able to discuss fears/concerns and help you sort it out.

If you're on Facebook, I happen to have an ovarian cancer awareness and support group there where you might find more information to help you make your decision.
    Let me know if you'd like me to pm you the information on how to find us.

Good luck to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search