Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lapseal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2014, 09:30 AM
    Positive EtG alcohol test no alcohol has been consumed
    Hi, My son is on probation for not taking a breathalyzer test last month of his senior year in college. He is in his 6th month of being an assistant GM at a fitness club (He is a rec major). He took a urine test a month ago and drug test was fine, they sent it to a lab and it came back positive, he was beside himself. He was adamant he did not drink anything, although he consumes a fair number of monster drinks. He also works out 4-5 times a week and consumes more water than a resting individual. They use sanitizers all day long to keep the equipment clean, in addition he uses hand wipes to sanitize his hands as he greets customers and clients. The level was I think low 500/mg and their tests have a cutoff of 100mgs. Could this be a result of incidental contact.

Thanks,
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2014, 09:39 AM
    Probation for what? Surely not working at a gym.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 14, 2014, 09:55 AM
    The sanitizes contain alcohol. This is why he tested positive.

Dec 14, 2014, 10:26 AM
    ma0641

As I mentioned in the first sentence of my post for not taking a breathalyzer test.

Thanks for the response

J_9

I believe you are right, everything so far points to incidental.

I am going to ask for an MRO interpretation.

Thanks for the answer.
    Expert

Dec 14, 2014, 05:12 PM
    I know I am right. I work in healthcare and use sanitizers frequently. There is,even a simple method to turn these hand sanitizers into a form that is ingestible. I've seen it done by a patient.

Dec 14, 2014, 09:21 PM
    J_9
    I like your response, this could be a class action problem. The Probation Officer could not explain the report to me, I have a copy and would like to have it reviewed using his daily work protocol. I also just found out each day before he reports to the Gym, he uses a hair Gel which I read contains Alcohol. He does this each day.

Who would I reach out to for a review of the report.
    Expert

Dec 15, 2014, 05:27 AM
    Unfortunately this is not a class-action issue. It is the responsibility of the person subject to random testing to read labels. It was you son's responsibility to be sure that he was not using any products containing alcohol such as mouthwash, hair gel, hand sanitizer, cologne, etc.

You don't reach out for a copy of the report, your son does. They may or may not provide it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 15, 2014, 07:01 AM
    Hi My Son is on probation for not taking a breathalyzer test...
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641
    Probation for what? Surely not working at a gym.
    As I mentioned in the first sentence of my post for not taking a breathalyzer test.
    No, failure to take such a test is not in itself a crime, and thus he wouldn't be on probation for that. He is on probation for being convicted of some sort of a crime, perhaps for driving and refusing to submit to a breathalyzer test while doing so (i.e.: violation of an "implied consent" statute)?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2014, 01:55 PM
    Sorry, no class action, this is a well known issue of the test. (common result)

I think, the one issue was they asked why he was on probation. Being in high school, is not a reason for a breath test, so we have to assume, he did some criminal act, such as DUI or other, that would have required him to take the test. Then the failure could have resulted in probation.

Assuming he is not really drinking (sorry, but parents are often really the last to know) yes, the use of these products can easily cause a failure.

He will need to wear protective gloves when cleaning and use other and cleaning methods.
    rocketman3411 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2014, 04:02 PM
    Ive been given UA's for jobs & for criminal probation. They always make you wash your hands with water (no soap). Then you dry your hands, provide them with a sample & wash your hands. The chance of getting alcohol from sanitizer or soap into a sample is not to high. If he really didn't drink anything then that's just another reason why ETG/ETS tests are a little unreliable. It is pretty easy to get a false positive urine test, which is why they prefer blood for court over breath or urine. There have been reports of eating certain sugary ice treats & even very low calorie diets (ketotic diets) giving you false positive breath tests.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 19, 2014, 11:24 PM
    Anything that contains alcohol can cause a positive on an ETG, that's why people that are undergoing regular testing are told to refrain from using products that contain alcohol.

Hand sanitizer, cough medicine, mouth wash, and the list goes on and on. There is most definitely a chance of failing because of using one of these products, or using anything that contains alcohol, even if it's not ingested.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 20, 2014, 08:58 AM
    If I were your son, I would document everything that I came in contact with that could trigger a high enough level to fail this test and submit it for the probation officer/court. They may make him retest, before they take action, so its important to correct his habits and make adjustments. Seldom is there corrective action/punishment for a first fail, and you mentioned none, so if that's the case, he should do whatever he has to do make sure any subsequent test has a passing level now that he has new FACTS to guide him.

Wearing gloves at work and changing products after careful screening will save him a lot of frustration in the future. The bottomline is doing his part to prove his due diligence, and willingness to correct his mistake (ignorance is NO excuse), instead of an adversarial approach like proving the unreliability of the test, or blaming it on lack of information.

Most courts and probation officers are very willing to give second chances if they get honesty and co operation, and no attempts at deception, and I am sure this will be the case with your son. Now that he knows better, he should strive to do better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can cause a positive urine alcohol level, even though no alcohol was consumed [ 6 Answers ]

I recently took a urine alcohol test and it came back positive, however I hadn't drank any alcohol in over three weeks. I have no idea why this would come back positive. I did use options conceptrol vaginal contraceptive gel the night prior to the test. The ingredients in this are Nonoxynol 9...

Help, Positive ETG Alcohol test and no alcohol has been consumed? [ 21 Answers ]

And again. More failed ETGs. He is not drinking. What to do? Could there be something wrong with his liver? He DOES NOT drink.

Determining if alcohol was really consumed in an EtG test [ 1 Answers ]

Since the EtG tests only test for the chemical left behind in alcohol and or otc drugs and household items. Can the laboratory tests really determine if someone drank alcohol or drank nyquil when tested within the 80 hours of EtG?

View more questions Search