Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glupsson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2014, 02:44 PM
    Rent-to-Own
    I am renting the house to someone for $1500/mo. (paying 13% to a property Manager to look after it).

They want to buy it on Rent-to-Own basis. How much would be fair to ask? For instance: 1% down payment, then $2, 000/mo for rent, of which $300/month to go against total purchase price? Since I do not live there, I'll have to pay tax on the income. If I register small business (small proprietorship) and claim the expense to run the place against income, would that be better option? I live in BC, Canada.

Any other advice regarding this is welcome.
    Thanks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2014, 03:37 PM
    A lot depends on the market in your area. What is the house price? I just did an LP with 3% down ($10,000), $2,000/month and $500 toward purchase, 1 year limit on exercising option. However, I did it myself without a property manager. Make sure the LP defines the time in which they must option to buy. If not, you just have long term renters. They should be responsible for repairs and maintenance in the LP. Also make sure that any earnest money they put down, becomes yours if they fail to exercise option. I think 1% is too low, $1,000 on a $100,000 purchase but make sure YOU get the money net, not after management fee.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2014, 09:58 PM
    First one percent down is not nearly enough, ( also be sure, that no deed is transferred until fully paid) normal down on a rent to own is minum of 5 percent and 10 percent is more normal. The issue here, is they do not buy it, you profit higher than just the rental value.

Will there still be a management fee, when you go to rent to own, that needs to be a charge outside of the monthly payment, also, the taxes and insurance should be a fee, on top of the montly payments

so they should pay rent plus money toward purchase, plus a fee for insurance and taxes and management fee, (that fee can change over the years)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I prepay rent 6 months to help me rent since I don't have good credit? [ 0 Answers ]

I am pregnant with twins and need to rent a home. I have a full time job (12yrs current) but I don't have a cedit history. I have started establishing revolving credit by use of a secured credi card I've had and been making my payments on, but I'm afraid this hasn't been long enough to score good...

Rent exp. On I.c statement is 26500 beginning pre rent is 5500 end pre rent is 4000 t [ 1 Answers ]

Rent expense listed in company's income statement is 26500. Beginning prepaid rent is 5500 and ending prepaid rent is 4000. The amount of cash paid for rent expense during the year is.

Paid rent but got evicted halfway through month. Do I get half a months rent back? [ 4 Answers ]

I am getting evicted for noise complaints. I Paid rent on the first of the month, And received the notice on the sencond. I have to be out on the 16th (halfway through the month). I was wondering if I get a half months rent back?

In case of rent two rents account are opened. Rent received is credited to what? [ 3 Answers ]

In case of rent ,two account may be opened.rent received is credited to rent receivable account;rent paid to rent account.at the end of the year the profit and loss is debited to rent paid and credited with rent receivable.help me in criticizing the above treatment of rent account.

View more questions Search