Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2014, 07:54 AM
    Paying for AOL
    I used live help and said that friends of mine don't pay for AOL or any of their
    Services (gmail or hotmail). I pay for AOL services so I asked what advantage
    Does paying for AOL have over these other companies.

They said they protect me from viruses and hacking. But two months ago my
    Computer crashed and I found someone who revived it like Lazarus... it was
    Completely dead. They said I'm in an AOL plan.

Am I crazy for paying every month? I don't want to lose AOL because they
    Have things I use all the time i.e. stationary, sometimes live help, icons...
    I used computer for beginners because I'm so technically challenged even
    Thought I am on the computer for years.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 12, 2014, 10:18 AM
    Seriously there are far better ISPs available then the old walled garden of AOLdoom
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 12, 2014, 10:22 AM
    I am happy with gmail. Have had it for years.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2014, 10:47 AM
    I, too, use and very much like gmail. There are free virus protection programs that you can download. Be careful with what you download -- others here who are more computer savvy than I am will give you good advice.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2014, 10:56 AM
    AOL can function as an internet provider so you would indeed be paying for access and their interface. Gmail and Hotmail are webmail services/websites. AOL has been a dying service for a long time. There are better internet service providers in your area. The challenge will be moving your contacts from AOL Mail to whatever mail service you decide to use. Perhaps the services of a trusted tech savvy niece or nephew are in order here. :-)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2014, 12:55 PM
    If you do not use AOL as your ISP, you can still keep your AOL e--mail address for free.
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2014, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If you do not use AOL as your ISP, you can still keep your AOL e--mail address for free.
    But don't I lose all the stuff I take for granted and use all the time:
    Stationary and stationary cards... many choices re type and colors... and
    Free online AOL immediate help

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    AOL can function as an internet provider so you would indeed be paying for access and their interface. Gmail and Hotmail are webmail services/websites. AOL has been a dying service for a long time. There are better internet service providers in your area. The challenge will be moving your contacts from AOL Mail to whatever mail service you decide to use.

Perhaps the services of a trusted tech savvy niece or nephew are in order here. :-)
    Wonderful reply except they live very far from me... I do better using AOL live.
    Help

Thank you for getting back to me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2014, 02:55 PM
    Yes, if you like and use the extra added features, then pay for it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2014, 04:46 PM
    I do better using AOL live
    You'd be one of the first I've heard that have had a good experience with their tech support. But they won't help you leave the service :-).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot open AOL from shortcut Nothing happens when I doubleclick on the AOL icon [ 2 Answers ]

I cannot open AOL from the desktop Icom. It worked earlier today but now nothing happens, I recently installed AOL 10.1 because 9.0 was having problems. My addressbook now has old addresses I changed to the correct ones months ago. I cannot access my sent mail. Mail takes a long time to send

How can I stop automatic updates to AOL's software? This started 2 days ago, AOL 9.0 [ 0 Answers ]

Every time I sign off AOL it says it is automatically making changes to the AOL software and gives me the option to "finish later" and also says "no changes are being made to your computer" These updates just started 2 days ago. I am using AOL 9.0

AOL connectivity &aol one-click fix [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to re- install "aol connectivity& aol one-click fix"?

View more questions Search