Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2014, 05:33 AM
    IUD removal
    My wife had her IUD removed today. We had to go to a rural country medical facility because the larger city hospitals would not do it.

Background, in China due to the "one child policy" changes in birth control has to be approved by the government and we were having an issue getting approval from the family planning bureau.

The IUD we believed was causing some pain and other issues, so we felt it needed to be removed.

The medical follow up, was not really clear, and I looked for information about any issues we should watch for. Also tried to find information on what to expect from the removal. This was not one with any hormone and she had it for about 8 years.

Most of you know, I am an expect web searcher, but there is so many 1000's of pages on IUD, I could not find anything simple that explained after care from removal.

Anyone care to share?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 10, 2014, 06:07 AM
    There really isn't much to worry about.

If you hade sex within a day or two prior to the removal and she is close to ovulation, pregnancy is a possibility. The only other thing would be to watch for fever in case of infection.

Spotting and cramping are normal with both insertion and removal of the IUD. If it were the Mirena there might be some other symptoms to watch for, but you said this was non-hormonal.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2014, 07:09 AM
    Thanks, this is one of the hardest things to search, too many web pages.

It is sad that government rules, such as no ultrasound that will determine sex of baby is allowed.

Plus the forced abortions, not given any real choices at times. We are suppose to be exempt from these rules, but I could not get them to sign off on anything today.

So, at what point is it safe to start sex again, I read one week, then two week, doctors here are saying one month..
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 10, 2014, 07:27 AM
    Follow the doctors advice. You want to be sure her cervix is properly closed to lessen the risk of infection.

It it truly is a shame that China imposes such rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IUD removal [ 0 Answers ]

Got my IUD taken out in the middle of feb 2013, and bled for 4 days right after I got it taken out and now haven't received my period yet and It's not April 6th. Usually before my baby / birth control my period was on time every month. My nipples are sensitive taken 2 pregnancy tests but both...

IUD removal [ 0 Answers ]

Hi My name is CJ and was recently on the IUD mirena for close to two years first time in 2010 it expelled itself. I decided to give it another go in 2011 which lasted until Oct 22,2012 when I had to have it removed due to complications. I had unprotected sex two days before the removal of the IUD...

Iud removal [ 2 Answers ]

Please let me know the truth I have no dr and planned parenthood doesn't accept medicare I am determine to take my mirena iud out by myself can you tell me the best safe way I can do this PLEASEadvice/directions/cautions please

I just had my iud removed on October 16, 2007. I had sex the night before the procedure and boyfriend came in me. Is there any chance I could already be pregnant?

Hi, My last period was May 30, 2007 (and actually had 2 periods that month in the beginning and end). I had my non hormonal (10yr IUD) IUD taken out June 22 and had unprotected sex on June 23. My periods have always been normal within a 28 day cycle. Well, my period did not start at all the...

View more questions Search