Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quemayer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2014, 03:24 PM
    Encryption
    I just found out that for my job, which has required use of my personal laptop, I will need encryption software to protect information that has been e-mailed to me. Information has already been sent to me. I have looked at encryption freeware info, but it talks about files but not e-mails. I want to secure what I have already and what may come in the future.

1) Do I not understand if 1 software (AxCrypt for instance) can encrypt and dycrypt my existing e-mails and future e-mails and files as well. Do I need several types of software?

2) I know that the original file can still "exist" even after deleted. Something I read mentioned purging? Can I do that on individual e-mails and files? Do I need special Software?

3) I was told that the software must be NIST compliant, would free encryption software be NIST compliant?

4) If I respond to e-mails sent to me that I have then encrypted would my response automatically be encrypted? I would like it to be. Could the receiver dycrpt without the software installed on their end? Could I just give them a password?

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2014, 04:44 PM
    While I will not address your speciic questions, I will make a general comment, since work is requiring this, they should be telling you, what level of encryption and even what programs they prefer, (have you asked?)

Next most likely better programs will cost money, but since work requires it, they should also be paying for it. (have you asked?)
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 9, 2014, 05:59 PM
    What Fr_Chuck is getting at is this. Its hard for us to sit here and tell you what would be your best option, taking into account what you've said, when you're being held to the standards and policies of your employer. I find it shocking; not that you are allowed to use your personal computer, but rather the fact that you are responsible for the encryption of this data. In my mind, it's always best practice to provide the security to proprietary information if you are providing the access to it remotely. Covers bases in my opinion.

Regardless, I would start with your employer.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2014, 11:43 AM
    I have to agree with what has already been said, furthermore it seems ill conceived that your employers would not use a standard software of some sort to avoid confusion and incompatibility. However if you must encrypt your personal computer, there are many options. Regardless of what your employer prescribes for communication, you may want to encrypt your system to avoid liability or sharing of private data in case of theft or loss.

Just to be clear, the transfer of data IE. Emails, chats, file sharing, etc. if to be secure, must be the same across the network of users, your company would have to set up something all employees could use that is the same. Most email systems already support secure transfers, as do Facebook, Google, and AMHD, since the NSA scandal this is becoming commonplace; thus the https in the url and the padlock symbol that appears in many browsers. Furthermore, email through clients is usually secure through the use of SSL/TLS. I only propose that you encrypt locally stored files/emails/etc. if that would suit your needs.

Windows supports native encryption. Not that your system cannot be broken into, but it will use your login password to prevent anyone from seeing your personal files. If they capture your computer, the file names are still easily obtainable, however there content is obscured. A weak password is easily broken as well, windows native encryption requires strong passwords IE. A random set of numbers, letters, upper and lower case, and characters.

It is easy enough to do without the purchase of any software. If you open My Computer (xp), Computer (Vista/7), or This-PC (8), then open your Local Disk (usually the C:\ drive). You can encrypt any folder by simply right clicking on it and selecting "Properties" then choosing "Advanced" under the "File Attributes" section. You will see an option to encrypt the folders contents, check it and Choose "Ok", then "Apply" and "Ok". This may take some time to apply depending on the size of the folder. It would be wise to encrypt the "Users" folder in Vista and newer, and "My Documents" in XP and older. These along with any programs that store data in their own directory should be encrypted. This will cover any email received locally, or other user data/files that are on your computer. You may also choose to encrypt other folders if you have data stored there. Also in this case it would be wise to turn off any network shares you may have enabled.

On a Mac you can use FileVault to encrypt your entire drive securing all files.

Both of these are NIST FIPS Compliant.

Bitlocker is also an excellent tool that comes with Windows, however it is only on Vista and newer, and does not come with certain editions. See here for overview, and here for simple instructions.

Normally I would also recommend TrueCrypt, however as their support ended, its usage has become quite controversial in the security world. You may also consider Symmantec PGP or their free version, activated after the trial-ware expires. Here is a large list of security software that is fips 140-1 compliant. A great deal of it may be useless to you.

Some computers allow hardware level encryption accessible through the computer's' BIOS or certain pre-installed utilities. See your computer's manual.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to do encryption for char using java? [ 0 Answers ]

public String getEncryption(String text){ String x = ""; for(int i = 0; i < text.length(); i++){ String sub = text.substring(i, i+1); System.out.println(i + " = " + sub); String en = encrypt_code; ...

How to set up WPA encryption? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Hi. My desktop is connected to the internet through a wireless modem/router. I use WEP encryption protocol to secure my network, but recently I found out that this protocol is easy to be hacked (some guys with the appropriate equipment hacked this encryption in about 3 min!). So, I...

Encryption of passwords [ 14 Answers ]

Hi guys, Hello every one I was wondering if the passwords we enter Yahoo messenger or Yahoo mail are straight away encrypted because when I was trying to sniff my networks traffic 4 passwords I was hardly able to make out something and also I would like to suggest me some nice...

View more questions Search