Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diva081367 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2014, 08:53 AM
    How Far Back Does a FingerPrint Background Check Go and What is Presented.
    Can someone please advise how far back a fingerprint background goes and what is presented to an employer?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 9, 2014, 08:58 AM
    It depends on who is doing the check, why they are doing the check, how far back they want to go. My last one for my nursing license went back 21 years.
    diva081367 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2014, 10:32 AM
    Are you referring to the fingerprints as well?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 9, 2014, 10:52 AM
    diva, it ALL depends on the employer. What they ask for and how far back they go depends on what they want to pay for. So although people can tell your their situations, no one can tell you yours.
    A nursing license is going to go back a lot further, and get more details, than a sales clerk or waitress. A federal job might go back your entire life. It depends!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 9, 2014, 08:03 PM
    I had one for my car dealer license...went all the way back for a complete history.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2014, 02:15 AM
    First fingerprints and criminal history are two different things.

They run fingerprints to prove identity, to be sure, there is not the same person under other names.

Once this is done they run a criminal history. The report goes back, to the first entry, there is no time limit. So it will go back 10, 20, 40, 50 years, there is no stopping point.

Some companies only look at the past 10 or past 15 years but that is normally a company policy.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 10, 2014, 03:31 AM
    "The report goes back to the first entry." Can you clarify that? I have NEVER been in trouble with the law. My search went back 21 years. I know this only because it stated my address at the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will an expunged felony charge show up on a live scan fingerprint background check? [ 1 Answers ]

Will an expunged felony charge show up on a live scan fingerprint background check? I'm hoping to become an insurance agent/underwriter in Texas. Expunged charge was in Louisiana.

Will my no-charges-filed assault 4 be on an FBI fingerprint background check? [ 0 Answers ]

July 2009 I was arrested for assault in the 4th degree. Me and my ex got into a huge physical fight and we both got taken in. I was in jail for less than 12 hours, and I never went to court, but I did get fingerprinted and photographed. I have a no charges filed letter. I am now a certified nursing...

I was wondering what exactly show up on a live scan fingerprint background check? [ 2 Answers ]

What specifically shows up on a live scan fingerprinting background check? I would like to apply to nursing school and this is the form of background check that is required. I was charged with theft and these charges are dismissed. I do not have a felony or misdemenour* on my record. Does this...

Will a background check and fingerprint show diversions? [ 3 Answers ]

I just had an interview for an accountant position with a major company, who also owns their own bank. The interview went great but at the end they mentioned a background check and fingerprint would be done. I have diversions for a theft 2 years ago. Do I have any chance of getting this job? ...

Fingerprint and background check [ 1 Answers ]

What is the validity of fingerprints and background check . For instance is it necessary for someone who did the FP in feb 2008 to do it again in June or July 2008 for another application or it will show automaticaly in his records with the immigration service . Thanks

View more questions Search