Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smb96 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2014, 08:52 AM
    Need ADT Box To be de-activated or turned off?
    I have an ADT box but no service. The box had been on but "disarmed" mode for years. Last night the power went off in my condo and when it came back the box started beeping and saying it was alarming itself. I couldn't get it to stop. I don't know any previous code either. I called ADT but they were not much help. The "plug" is behind my washer/dryer which I cannot get to physically myself. I ended up turning off the fuse to the area, and then I went to the ADT panel box and unplugged both Red and Yellow wires from the black battery. BUT, when I went to turn the fuse back on, the box started beeping and arming itself again!

Please help! Why is it still arming /on if I unplugged it from the battery? What else can I do, other than trying to get someone to come over and move my washer and dryer?

I have called ADT and they are so rude and mean... one lady was pretty nice but her instructions didn't really mitigate the issue.

Thank you!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 9, 2014, 01:13 PM
    I've had ADT for years. They have many different systems. so what follows are just my guesses based on my own system.

I think what it's doing is not "trying to arm itself," but rather giving you warnings that (a) the power outage occurred, and (b) the internal battery is not working (since you disconnected it) The battery is a backup power source that keeps the system active in case of power interruption, so disconnecting it would not shut off the system, but rather would initiate a fault notice. Does the system have a control panel and if so - what does it say?

One thought - the "plug" as you called it is actually a voltage converter, like for a laptop computer, that provides DC voltage to the control box. If you can't unplug it from the outlet another option is to disconnect the wires that come from the converter at the terminal strip inside the control box. Can you trace the wires and tell which ones they are? If you do this take care to not short the wires to the box or each other - I would advise wrapping the end in electrical tape to prevent a short. Once power is disconnected, as well as the battery, the system should be dead.
    smb96 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2014, 01:24 PM
    Hi. Thank you. Your explanation is very helpful (unlike the people at ADT!). Yes, I have a panel and it currently says: Disarmed **Ready to Arm** and also it blinks "System Low Battery". The Ready light is lit. And, it beeps occasionally with the "Low Battery" message Makes sense that disconnecting the battery did not shut it off. I was wondering why it would still be on with that disconnected but I understand now that is a backup battery. I have no idea how to trace the wires but I will try having my uncle come over and see if he can do that, or some how get behind the washer/dryer. So, to sum it up - basically is it correct to assume that I must somehow get to that voltage converter and unplug it or disconnect it from the control box in order for the ADT panel to be completely shut off? Thank you!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 9, 2014, 03:26 PM
    Yes - kill the power connection and the backup battery and the system will be dead as Kelsey's nuts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Activated Charcoal [ 2 Answers ]

Can activated charcoal clear your system of thc? If so, what's the dosage?

ADT states they OWN the box! [ 13 Answers ]

I cancelled my ADT service after the monthly price increased to over $40.00 a month! After they shut off date, my alarm ceased to work completely. I was lead to believe that my alarm would still work without it being monitored. I at least wanted the door chime to work and even the alarm to alert...

Bleached box dye turned orange how do I dye it an auburn color? [ 1 Answers ]

I have black hair and I tried to do an ombré look using loreal's wild ombré dye but my hair turned orange! Since that didn't turn out so good I changed my mind and now want to dye my bleached orange hair a red/auburn color. How would I go about doing this? What should I use

Turned Goodman Furnace off @ breaker box. Now it won't come on. [ 1 Answers ]

I was putting "bug bomb" in my basement and to be safe I flipped the switch in the breaker box off. When I turned it back on, the furnace has not come on. What can I check? I really need to NOT have to call someone for service.

View more questions Search