Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Dec 8, 2014, 08:51 AM
    Typical furnace pilot light question...
    Our furnace, only 16 years old, is having troubles keeping the pilot light going. My wife saw it got blown out when the burners were starting up, but I am worried it might be a blow back issue. Is it relatively expensive to get the thermo couple on the pilot light changed out? It is an important thing to figure out being this the beginning of a frigid Canadian Winter.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2014, 09:04 AM
    Post what make and model for better help, but to answer your question it's not hard or expensive to replace thermocoupling.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 8, 2014, 01:38 PM
    You can view the job here, and see if its something you want to get into yourself, if indeed that's the problem. Or review the eHow sites and see what you will need before hand, and that may help you decide the best direction to go in.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Dec 15, 2014, 09:51 AM
    From what I have seen it was a blow back problem. I had forgotten to change the filter on the furnace, for a LOT longer then I should have, and because it was so clogged there was enough air being redirected back to blow out the pilot. Something like that, I have the filter half out of there and am getting a new one soon. The pilot hasn't gone off since. It is a 17yo carrier natural gas furnace, I haven't gotten a model number on it. It was mass produced and mass used in our subdivision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Johnson Air Ease Furnace pilot light won't re-light. Fire there but no pilot light [ 0 Answers ]

Air Ease (Johnson) furnace pilot light will not re-light. Flame sensor replaced three years ago. Flame left on for a couple minutes but sensor will not allow pilot light to stay on. Going out now to try new pilot light flame sensor. NEED HEAT!

Payne 394gaw furnace whose pilot ignition sparks forever but the pilot doesn't light. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Payne 394gaw furnace whose pilot ignition sparks forever but the pilot doesn't light. What do I need to do?

Older gas furnace with standing pilot light, new thermocouple Burners will NOT light [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am at the end of my rope. I have an older Armstrong Air (Honeywell) standing pilot furnace. The pilot light is a strong blue flame. The thermocouple is about 20 min old. (I just replaced it thinking that was the problem). The thermostat seems to be working properly. When I set it to...

Pilot light on our Lennox G40UH(X) Series furnace won't light [ 1 Answers ]

We have a G40UH(X) by Lennox which is about 5 years old. The pilot light on our lennox G40UH(x) series furnace won't light. The blower turns on for a few minutes but blows cold air and the pilot light never comes on. The LED #1 light is off and the LED #2 light is slow flash. May I know how can I...

View more questions Search