Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chasenohr2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2014, 08:39 AM
    How can I tell if I'm lactose intolerant?
    I have been having issues with diarrhea when eating things like dairy and all of that. I was wondering if I could be lactose intolerant?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 8, 2014, 09:45 AM
    That's typically how it's diagnosed. You can help to clinch the diagnosis by cutting out dairy for at least a week, and then eating some again. You need to find out if your symptoms really are related to lactose, or if you just had an intestinal virus that went away on it's own.
    Note that many cheeses lose their lactose during the cheesemaking, so not all dairy has lactose. Google a list of what has, and how to read a typical label to figure it out on products you aren't sure about.
    Lactose intolerance can run the gamut from very mild to very dramatic.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2014, 02:28 PM
    As joy mentioned, cut out dairy for awhile. You may want to go without for a couple of weeks or more just to be sure, as dairy can stay in your system for awhile. Years ago I was told by my doctor at the time that I had IBS. I just happened to mention it to a different doctor a number of years later and it was suggested to cut out dairy and caffeine for a month. Sure enough, it was like night and day. I can't tolerate either if I have too much... so I didn't have IBS after all.
    boron Posts: 38, Reputation: 5

Jan 10, 2015, 08:10 AM
    You can try this: For 2 days, you can stop eating fruits and honey and beverages sweetened with HFCS or anything with added fructose or "polyols" like sorbitol and xylitol. This is to exclude fructose malabsorption as a possible causes of bowel problems. Then, one day when you have no bowel symptoms, you try to drink 2 glasses of milk (1/2 liter or 1 pint). If you have lactose intolerance, this will cause obvious abdominal bloating and probably loose stools. If no symptoms, you do not likely have lactose intolerance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I lactose intolerant? [ 2 Answers ]

For about a couple of weeks now every time I have things like Milk, Ice cream, or anything with dairy I get things like: Headache, stomachache, gas, nausea, and bloating. Is it possible that I am Lactose Intolerant, and if so what do I do? If not still what do I do?

Lactose intollerant [ 4 Answers ]

I am 13 and I have a serious stomach condition in which I am not allowed to have large amounts of dairy products. I can still eat things with dairy products in them, but I cannot have ice cream, pudding, whipped cream, a glass of milk, eggs, or cheese. I am fine with everything... EXCEPT the no ice...

How to Deal With Intolerant Parents [ 19 Answers ]

My religious views are agnostic. I've caught a lot of flak for that over the years, but that's what I believe. My problem is this: Though I am an adult and going to college, I still live in my parents' house, and they REFUSE to accept that I am not a Christian. They have even gone so far as to...

Am I intolerant? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I'm not sure if it's just my intolerance or that my husband is simply too much work. He cannot interact with me without questions and answers in details. He literally demands details. It dosen't matter what it is. There are so many examples. The last question he asked me was, "why did I...

The intolerant left is targeting Sen. Dianne Feinstein . [ 8 Answers ]

I'm willing to bet you never thought that Senator Dianne Feinstein of California was a Bush-bot. Certainly if you looked at her record you would conclude that she has a pretty consistent liberal voting record in the Senate. The American Conservative Union gave her a ZERO rating . She has voted...

View more questions Search