Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 7, 2014, 07:59 PM
    Oil Burner Problems
    Tuesday I replaced the nozzle and filter on my Beckett/Peerless oil burner. When I removed the nozzle assembly, the electrodes were loose and moved their position. I did my best to re-align them and I put it all back together.

I replaced the nozzle with a 0.65 60B nozzle as was handwritten on the label on the outside of the burner. The nozzle that was actually in there, the one that I removed, had a number that was something like .5937 or something similar but I could find no A or B or anything else. I assumed I was using the right pieces as that is what was written on the burner.

Anyway, it started up and seemed to be fine.

Today, 5 days later, I heard it start up and it was incredibly loud but then cleared up. A few hours ago, I smelled some oil in the house so I went downstairs to look. The reset light was blinking so I did the reset procedure and I heard the motor run, about 5 seconds later I heard it ignite and then POOF, it went out and I got a puff of smoke coming out of it.

I pulled the nozzle assembly out and it is loaded with soot.

Now I am at a loss. Something I did? Where do I go from here?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 8, 2014, 08:01 AM
    Did you adjust your air shutters after you replaced your nozzles? Do you have a manual for the setting ranges? Here are some videos that you can review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1itx5eGy0Sg

Sounds like a fine tuning is all you should need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAQR5Ctyw1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBQ-5FikpAo
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2014, 10:56 AM
    Odinn7: If you post the model number of the boiler, I can get the factory setup specs.

Here's a video you might be tempted to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6i2x08oI4o
    The guy's concept is good but his technique & measurements are all wrong. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, touch the face of a nozzle with your fingers. Your electrodes should be 5/16" to 7/16" above the nozzle center, 1/16" ahead of the nozzle face, & 5/32" apart at the tips.
    Entomology Expert

Dec 8, 2014, 12:57 PM
    I messed with it again this morning. I got new electrodes and an actual gauge to set the tips of the electrodes and I cleaned everything up. Hit the switch and the motor ran for 12 seconds before firing and when it did fire, I got all kinds of black smoke from the chimney and a puff-back in the basement. It ran for about 5 minutes and cleared up a little but then shut off and went into reset mode.

I called someone as I am done messing around. I am currently waiting for them to get here.

Thanks for trying to help me.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2014, 01:55 PM
    Please let us know what the servicer finds.
    Entomology Expert

Dec 8, 2014, 04:38 PM
    The tech made some adjustments, had to install new duct work for the flue as it was rusted out in some spots, and he did a thorough cleaning of the inside. I knew to vacuum out the fire chamber but I didn't know there was a whole different area on top, under the cover that needed to be scrubbed and cleaned. He said it was packed and the system was starving for air.

It works great now. No smoke, starts up quietly, and keeps running. Costly, but lesson learned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

American Standard Oil Burner oil pump shot [ 3 Answers ]

American Standard Oil furnace model ACD 603 pump stuck and won't turn. What is the equivalent for a Sundstrand 1298 100 3 that I have.

Oil Burner still dripping.Oil Co. Tricks.fear for 3 dogs lives [ 8 Answers ]

That 1 you see as a response to my boiler question was to redirect my boiler question to heating and cooling. Please refer to boiler burner dripping below. Still need an answer as am not willing to have the tricky oil companies service my problem after causing it. They want to see more dollars...

Wayne Oil Burner Problems [ 0 Answers ]

Have wayne diesel burner on power washer will not ignite fuel

Bryant oil furnace (#369AAN) with Beckett AFG oil burner [ 1 Answers ]

I was curious as to if anyone can tell me anything about the above product(s). Reason being is because I had no choice in which new high-efficiency furnace would be installed. I have a home warranty through AHS (which is horrible) and this is the product that was installed. Is Bryant as good as...

Oil burner problems. [ 1 Answers ]

My oil burner at first would not fire off. Changed filters and nozzle. Furnace ran fine for a week or so then tripped off again. Cleaned cad cell and it fired and ran for a day, then tripped off once more. Got it running again but last time burner continued to run after flame extinguised, flooding...

View more questions Search