Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chasity11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2014, 01:46 PM
    if I have guardianship in Oklahoma can I take child to ny for x-mas vacation
    My family resides in ny and also child's mother recently moved back to ny. If i take child to ny for x-mas , can mother try to take child away being that we are in a different state?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 4, 2014, 01:56 PM
    You have actually asked two questions:
    ... can I take child to ny for x-mas vacation[?]
    Depends on the terms of the order appointing you guardian.

... can mother try to take child away being that we are in a different state?
    She can try (to illegally seize the child), but if you mean can she bring a court action in NY, no: the Uniform Child Custody and Jurisdiction Act provides that the Oklahoma courts have exclusive jurisdiction over the child's custody.

Dec 4, 2014, 02:12 PM
    Thank you! She signed guardianship over to me through court due to DHS had a case against her and they assigned me as temp guardian. DHS came and vouched child should not be with mother, so I was awarded guardian. Now she wants me to just give child back to her because she moved out of state. Was worried. She is aware she has to appear here in Oklahoma court to regain custody, but does not want to pursue that. She thinks I will just give her back.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2014, 02:42 PM
    I'm curious as to why you have guardianship and not custody. Guardianship is usually something given to non birth parents so they have legal rights to care for the child. Custody is awarded to one of the birth parents in case of a split between the birth parents.

But, to answer your question, the mother cannot legally seize the child. I would bring a copy of the guardianship papers on your vacation. So if there is any attempt by the mother, you can go to the police and show you have sole legal rights to the child.

Dec 4, 2014, 03:04 PM
    I am the child's grandmother. Thank you
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 4, 2014, 08:07 PM
    You might want to plan on skipping NY for this year. If you have been through all this drama already then why possibly force another situation. It could even result in you losing custody/gaurdianship of the child.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2014, 03:16 AM
    I agree, some issues, first this is Temp custody, and though CPS, as such, CPS can also merely change their minds and give child back.

Also, mother could file motion in court. Or just take the child and not give child back,
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 5, 2014, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr Chuck
    ... Also, mother could file motion in court. ...
    Oklahoma court, that is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Similar to Operation X-mas Child? [ 2 Answers ]

Is helping people a hobby? For me it is =D Is there any stuff that can someone can alone do, that is similar to Operation Christmas Child, Teens for Jeans, Style your Sole, etc? My other questions; Is there anything you can do with your school that is similar to Operation Christmas Child,...

Child neglect, How do I get guardianship/custody of non-related(blood) child [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I accepted to be god parents of a 2.. 5yr old before his birth (mother was a friend) Since his birth she has moved in & out of our home several times. Leaves child(son) for days/weeks at a time with little/no contact. The last 6 months have been extremely worse. At least one week...

Signing rights away to a child in Oklahoma [ 4 Answers ]

The father of my unborn child wants to sign his rights away once the baby gets here so he has no obligation to any financial support. Can he do this?

Does a father have more rights to a child than the child's aunt who has guardianship? [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out that I am the father of a 4 year old girl. The child has been living with her grandma (On the mothers side of course) for the last 3 years but when the grandma died about 6 months ago the child's aunt got the child. The mother rarely sees her and when she does its not more than a...

Oklahoma Child Custody [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Oklahoma and could possibly be getting a divorce from my wife. We have three children together, and she does not work or take very good care of the children. She is not abusive, just lazy. What chances do I have of getting custody of the children? I am a doctor and I have the support...

View more questions Search