Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saddleup Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2005, 08:21 PM
    Bald cat
    My 1.5 yo outside cat has just recently started getting big mats of hair around neck and they are falling out. The cats neck is going bald. It seems to be the only place. Any ideas? Is my other cat in danger? How about my border collies? The cats live in the barn but have good food and good beds. Help
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Feb 27, 2005, 05:37 AM
    Hello,

It could just be that your cat is starting to shed for spring/summer.

Have you seen the cat scratching or licking excessively? Have you treated for fleas?

Some cats have allergic reactions to flea bites that can cause them to scratch, bite, and lick their hair off. Their skin gets so itchy, they can't help themselves. Once this has occurred, an allergy injection is in order to stop the allergic reaction. They applying safe, effective products like Advantage should keep the fleas at by so that it doesn't happen again.

It is possible for cats to get demodectic mange. Usually, for cats to get this type of mange, there is usually some immune system depression. Cats who are ill or have suppressed immune function can get demodectic mange which is easily treated with a Lime Sulpher dip.

Demodectic mange should be found by doing a skin scraping.

Ringworm is another skin culprit which is not as easy to treat and is highly contagious to both animals and humans. Usually, one can see red/scaley skin around the nose/mouth area, tips of the paws, or on the ears most commonly. They can have it on other areas as well.

Doing a fungal culture is the best way to diagnose this problem. Usually treatment is long (4 to 6 weeks) with Fulvicin which is an oral medication. Using anti-fungal shampoo to bath or Lamasil AT cream is also desirable.

Food allergies are also common in cats and can cause skin/coat problems.

The way you describe it, I'd say it sounds more like just plain ol' shedding. Try switching to a high quality diet such as Iams Hairball or Hill's Science Diet. Also, coming or shaving may make the cat feel better.

I have a long haired cat that I have shaved at least once a year (in the spring). It makes him feel like a kitten again! And it cuts down on the uncomfortable mats.

Combing with a long-tooth metal comb may be in order. Brushes only get the top coat leaving the undercoat to mat.

Hope this information helps!

Regards,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chihuahua with Seasonal Bald Spots [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 11 year old male AKC registered Chihuahua. He is in excellent health, has 2 standard vet visits a year (1 for his booster shots, and 1 for renewal of his heart worm chews). He has had the same vet since he was 1 year old. Every year around mid-September to Early October he develops...

Daschund with bald spots [ 11 Answers ]

I have a daschund who is 1 year and about 7 months. He is very eager and friendly and in really good shape. I switched him from Iams to Nutro a while ago, and the dandruff he used to have has completely gone away because his skin is of course better moistened. But just recently, I have begun to...

Nesting Bald Eagles [ 2 Answers ]

Kennedy Space Center Eagles KSC has quite a few pairs of nesting Bald Eagles. The most famous is a pair that return every year to nest in a pine tree about half way between the Vehicle Assembly Building (a massively huge structure) and Kennedy Parkway. Every year the KSC photography contractor...

View more questions Search