Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pharuq Allah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2014, 11:36 AM
    Rent
    Can a Landlord increase the rent? If so, what are the laws pertaining to it. Thank you.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 30, 2014, 11:39 AM
    Of course they can given written notice or contractual term.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 30, 2014, 12:42 PM
    If you have a written lease that sets forth the amount for rent, then the Landlord cannot increase the rent until the end of the Lease term. If you don't have a written lease then the Landlord, in most locations, can increase the rent every pay period, with one pay period of notice before the increase takes effect.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 30, 2014, 02:51 PM
    Not only that, but some leases can have a clause built in to them that allows for increases within the term (usually a year) if heat is included in the rent.
    On the other hand, some locales (mostly cities, not states) can have limits on what % an increase can be over the last year.

Please tell us more about your lease or terms if you need more answers.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 30, 2014, 06:45 PM
    Laws vary, where do you live? The answer is YES but how and when will vary depending on location
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2014, 10:17 PM
    In the US, rent can be increased without a lease normally with a 30 day notice. With a lease it can only be changed, within the terms of the lease, or when the lease expires.

they may increase the rent, to basically any sum they want, (some areas state market value) Details as to where you live, how much is being paid now, what the increase is, you are talking about, would be helpful

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent exp. On I.c statement is 26500 beginning pre rent is 5500 end pre rent is 4000 t [ 1 Answers ]

Rent expense listed in company's income statement is 26500. Beginning prepaid rent is 5500 and ending prepaid rent is 4000. The amount of cash paid for rent expense during the year is.

Paid rent but got evicted halfway through month. Do I get half a months rent back? [ 4 Answers ]

I am getting evicted for noise complaints. I Paid rent on the first of the month, And received the notice on the sencond. I have to be out on the 16th (halfway through the month). I was wondering if I get a half months rent back?

I got a default judgement for non payment of rent in time, but I did pay the rent. [ 1 Answers ]

I got a default judgement for non payment of rent in time,but i did pay the rent , i paid the rent the same time date, the notice is dated, but i did not received the letter until two days later. Thank you, tenant

In case of rent two rents account are opened. Rent received is credited to what? [ 3 Answers ]

In case of rent ,two account may be opened.rent received is credited to rent receivable account;rent paid to rent account.at the end of the year the profit and loss is debited to rent paid and credited with rent receivable.help me in criticizing the above treatment of rent account.

View more questions Search