manza Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2014, 06:05 AM
    Europe tour... need suggestions!!
    Hii.. I wanted to know what are the places one must visit once you are in
    i.Vienna,(2 days t)
    ii.Rome (2 days )
    iii.Venice.(1 day)
    iv. Barcelona (2 days)
    It is during dec-jan. I know the time is really short but I I want to make the best of it! Cheers! Suggestions please!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 30, 2014, 12:48 PM
    Rome
    The Vatican, the Trevi Fountain, St Peter's Square, Spanish Steps, Colosseum, The Form...
    More than you can do in two days. If you are making your own hotel acomidations try to get near the train station.
    You will take the train from airport to Rome. Accommodations will not be as luxurious but considerably cheaper than around Vatican
    Use subway system to get around. Two lines. One north and south, one east and west. You can't get lost. Probably have to take taxi to Vatican

Vienna
    Where and when can I see the Lipizzaners of the Spanish Riding School?

The "High School" of riding can be experienced in the Riding School in the
    Imperial Palace during the morning work or at a gala presentation of the Spanish Riding School.
    Tours of the Lippizaners' stables in the Imperial Palace are also offered.
    You can obtain tickets and dates directly from the Spanish Riding School,
    tel. +43-1-533 90 31, e-mail: [email protected]

Venice
    Venice Gondola Rides.
    You must do this of course but don't expect it to be like you see on TV. If won't be you and your lover being serenaded by the singing boatman. It will be you and about 20 other people in a long narrow boat. Don't drag you hand in the water. The canals are also Venice's sewage system. Find a shop selling glassware, many offer free glass blowing demonstrations. Quite interesting.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2014, 11:56 AM
    I'd find and pay for organized tours... you will get to see far, far more than you will ever hope to wandering around semi-lost. Trust me.

Particularly Rome. Its HUGE. And watch out for the Gypsies and other miscreants that are all over the place waiting to prey on tourists that aren't paying attention.
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2014, 04:05 PM
    Just wanted to add. I lived and worked in Italy for 6 years (Tuscany Region). I spent a month there every year for nearly every year of the last 22 years, I speak the language fluently and have a place over there. I was a bit too brief in my answer to explain that tour groups know the best places to go, have plans to get you to and through many of them time and cost efficiently. On your own, you would be lucky to get through a quarter as many as they can get you through in the same given time. Equate two days in Rome as two days in New York city... both are huge, cover a large area and have huge populations. And you will understand what you are up against. Only Rome has far more Historical sights to see. You can't even do most of them in 2 weeks, much less 2 days.

In Venice you need boat taxis to get around much of Venice... you aren't going to walk much of it. Some of it you need to see by boat and some are on separate Islands. Again the key is they have well tuned and organized plans to get people though as much as efficiently as possible. Having as little time as you do that is important. You will be exhausted... but in the end you will be glad as you will have seen far, far more. There are tours that will get you though the major sites in the entire country driving you around between them if that fits into your plans and budget. That's how I did it the first time I was in Europe which covered Southern England to as far south in Italy as Hadrians Villa south of Rome and the rest of Europe in between over a 5 week period.

I don't work in the Tourism industry and I have no friends that do. I'm just trying to get you the most out of the limited time you have from my own personal experience in case this is the only time you ever get to do it.

Dec 10, 2014, 10:46 AM
    Thank You so much for your advices. I really do appreciate it. :) So, we will be travelling around europe but I guess not as much in detail as @smoothy advised. We have short duration of time, so I guess we will be visiting a few places and getting an overlook of the cities. Thank You so much.
    It would be really great if you could suggest me good places to visit in Barcelona, Spain. Thank You. :)
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2014, 11:21 AM
    That is one I can't help. In all my time in Europe, Spain and Portugal were the two places I never visited.

Dec 10, 2014, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    That is one I can't help. In all my time in Europe, Spain and Portugal were the two places I never visited.
    Ahh... Thank You so much. :) How come you did not visit these 2 countries? Just curious! :)
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2014, 01:45 PM
    It was too far out of the way for the original grand tour of Europe I did in 1985. It was tour bus based and literally, it was five weeks of very intense travel as it was, the time it would have taken to get to Spain and Portugal would have significantly detracted from what we did see in the rest of Europe. Almost needed a vacation from the vacation. And when I was living and Working there a few years later I was in Tuscany, Italy on the Mediterranean. Literally, in my apartment I had an unobstructed view of the water and sunset every evening. Only a street and two sidewalks were between my windows and the water. Like 75 feet from the water Since I was working I only had weekends free and that was too far to drive out and back in just two days much less see anything. One of these days I might make it there. I haven't made it to south of Campagnia in Southern Italy yet... or Sicily or Sardinia.

Dec 11, 2014, 11:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    It was too far out of the way for the original grand tour of Europe I did in 1985. It was tour bus based and literally, it was five weeks of very intense travel as it was, the time it would have taken to get to Spain and Portugal would have significantly detracted from what we did see in the rest of Europe. Almost needed a vacation from the vacation. And when I was living and Working there a few years later I was in Tuscany, Italy on the Mediterranean. Literally, in my apartment I had an unobstructed view of the water and sunset every evening. Only a street and two sidewalks were between my windows and the water. Like 75 feet from the water Since I was working I only had weekends free and that was too far to drive out and back in just two days much less see anything. One of these days I might make it there. I haven't made it to south of Campagnia in Southern Italy yet... or Sicily or Sardinia.
    Oh wow! That sounds really great!! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

16 year old tour through Europe [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I was wondering if it's possible/safe for a independent 16-year old to travel around for some time by train? I was thinking of going through great Britain for my first trip, since I've lived a year in Texas and am used to communicating in English.. Any budget overviews/possibilities...

A travel agency offers 8 different tour packages and 1 tour guide among the 3 namely, [ 1 Answers ]

A travel agency offers 8 different tour packages and 1 tour guide among the 3 namely,brenda, sheryl and ginny. In how many ways can a tourist choose a tour package and a tour guide?

Had a tour in europe but your from outside europe [ 5 Answers ]

Anyone here had a trip inside europe but your from outside europe. Like me I'm from the philippines. I want to have a tour inside europe but I don't have any idea of the requirements required. What I only have is my passport. What else do I need? I don't have work here in the philippines so I think...

Tour Sponsorship [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a basic template to put together a sponsorhsip tour for a music touring. Just a little direction with where info is placed and the order how it should read. Also, what info do I need into it and what numbers it needs. We are using radio value to sale to sponsors? Any help would...

View more questions Search