Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 28, 2014, 06:15 PM
    Now that I'm using a tablet I get why traffic is low on AMHD
    My computer died and I'm now forced to use a tablet. Since being on the tablet I've found AMHD to be extremely frustrating to use.

For instance, I was logged in looking at questions, found one to answer, spent 20 minutes writing a response, hit post only to be directed to a page telling me that I'm almost there, just a few more steps to become a member and be allowed to post.

I am a member, have been for many years. I was logged in, but for some reason the site logged me off while I was painstakingly pecking out my post. Now the post is gone, and frankly, I'm too frustrated to re-write it.

Most of the users use mobile devices. Now that I'm forced to I can honestly say, I'd give up on AMHD if my new computer weren't already on its way.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 28, 2014, 06:19 PM
    On a tablet you still have to check the remember me box. I am on my tablet now and I'm never logged out unless I clear my cache on my tablet or if I tap the log out button by accident.

The he tablet isn't any different than the desktop. I can just type faster on a desktop keyboard.
    Pets Expert

Nov 28, 2014, 06:28 PM
    That's the frustrating part J. I usually forget to logout. I can come back days later, on my tablet, pull up AMHD, and I'm still logged in.

I didn't log out accidentally. I was logged in, spent 20 minutes pecking out a post, only to hit post and get directed to a page telling me I need to sign up as a member. Post lost.

Just posting this thread on my tablet, was not fun. I'm having a lot of sympathy for people that use this site using mobile devices. It's not easy.
    Expert

Nov 28, 2014, 06:39 PM
    Alty, you are new to using tablets. Many of us that use them use them all the time. It does get easier. I even post from my phone from time to time! Gasp!!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 28, 2014, 06:54 PM
    I use my tablet almost exclusively now and have far fewer problems than when using my pc. As J_9 said, the pc keyboard does allow for much faster typing.
    Pets Expert

Nov 28, 2014, 07:45 PM
    I prefer my PC. I can't wait to put this tablet in a corner and never see it again. I miss actually typing with ten fingers, not one. I miss hitting a button and it actually doing what it's supposed to do.

Have to ask WG. Is the reason you're posting less, because you're using this wonderful tablet?
    Expert

Nov 28, 2014, 07:52 PM
    I'm sitting in my bed right now posting on my tablet.

I do prefer the PC keyboard, I type faster, but for portability I like my tablet. I have to admit that when I first got my first tablet I was frustrated, but I got used to it. Once I got all of the settings right it's really no different.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 28, 2014, 07:52 PM
    I post less here because there is nothing to post to or about. Many of the questions are about appliances and cars/trucks or construction. A year ago or a little longer ago, there weren't enough hours in the day to post to interesting questions. And I was using a tablet back then. I now spend much of my computer/tablet time on other Q&A sites that are much busier and easier to navigate.
    Pets Expert

Nov 28, 2014, 08:00 PM
    So you do admit that AMHD is hard to navigate?

I had no problem until the computer died.

I will admit that I'm not used to the tablet, and that's part of the problem. But I also admit that once I get my new computer, this tablet will sit idle and collect dust. There are just too many things it can't do that a desktop can.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2014, 08:46 PM
    I go back and forth... have used my phone on occasion as well. PC is definitely faster, and that is my first preference, but I do like having the accessibility of the tablet.

I've had a similar problem Alty. Will have a reply all set and then find I am no longer logged on when I go to post it. I think I get timed out. I'll copy then paste the response sometimes after I log back in. Other times I won't bother, so I can see how it may be a problem at times and could be one of several reasons for slower traffic.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 28, 2014, 09:05 PM
    I took my tablet with me to a health-care rehab facility last Jan and Feb, would have died of boredom without it. I could check my email, tomorrow's weather (usually more snow), AMHD, played FreeCell, and read about six or eight books that I had downloaded. My roommate had TV going 24/7, so I put in ear plugs and got absorbed in my tablet. Now I'm hooked, and except for the typing thing, prefer it over my pc.
    Pets Expert

Nov 30, 2014, 03:18 PM
    I don't know how to copy and paste on this contraption. I also don't have a place to type it out first so that I can save what I post, in case AMHD decides to log me out.

This is an old tablet, it's a blackberry playbook, Rod found it in the trash at his work around a year ago. Guess someone else got frustrated with it long before I did. ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2014, 12:16 AM
    I sometimes use my IPod, but I have a external (but small) keypad for it. And it makes it easier, but yes, I find it slower and often harder to use. I do my smart phone sometimes, but with my eyesight, I seldom try it
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 1, 2014, 04:02 AM
    I lose posts for another reason: a question has just been moved to another category or merged with another thread.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 1, 2014, 05:30 AM
    Yes, it is a hole different ball park trying to access/reply on an iPad. I don't take mine out of the house anymore and only access AMHD on my laptop. It was just a hassle using the iPad keyboard and other functions for AMHD,
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 5, 2014, 02:16 PM
    Alty, why dont you check pawn shops in your area and get a decent laptop for a backup. In my area you can get them under $200 and they can be awesome.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 5, 2014, 02:22 PM
    Check to see if the Blackberry store has some apps for text processing, then you can type offline and copy and paste. There must be a way to copy and paste.

I have my desktop, a 2 in 1 that use mostly like a laptop and a 8" tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard. All three use the Win 8 OS as does my phone. So all my calendar items, contacts, e-mails and many apps are synchronized across all devices.
    Pets Expert

Dec 5, 2014, 03:48 PM
    No worries anymore. Our new/refurbished computer arrived on Monday and it's all set up. I love being back on a keyboard, typing with 10 fingers, clicking a button and it actually works. The kids are now using the tablet. :)

Cdad, I'd rather get another desktop as backup. This one cost us less than $200. It's refurbished. I'm not really a fan of laptops either, don't like the keyboard on them.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 5, 2014, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    No worries anymore. Our new/refurbished computer arrived on Monday and it's all set up. I love being back on a keyboard, typing with 10 fingers, clicking a button and it actually works. The kids are now using the tablet. :)

Cdad, I'd rather get another desktop as backup. This one cost us less than $200. It's refurbished. I'm not really a fan of laptops either, don't like the keyboard on them.

Well dont leave us hanging. What did you get ? How about some spec's for the tech heads here.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2015, 02:52 AM
    Hi alty as recent tablet user I had the same problem but I found it can be solved with using a stylus which enables you to highlight blocks of text which is hard to do with a finger you can then use the control functions. You will find that these functions become apparent when you press ctrl

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have hisense sero 7 pro Android tablet how to upload pics from tablet to PC [ 1 Answers ]

Have Hisense sero 7 pro androild tablet. How do I upload my pics to PC. I have connected to windows 7 PC - went to picaso to import pics nothing happens. Thanks

Tablet [ 1 Answers ]

I want to purchase a tablet for my elderly mother to use for skype only. It needs to be very simple. She does not use a computer or even send text messages. We are moving overseas and I want to be able to communicate with her. Which table do you recommend for skype only?

New Tablet [ 1 Answers ]

I got a few questions about the new tablet I got for xmas. I have never had a phone or anything that runs Android before so my questions are basic. 1) Could someone explain the whole apps thing? Do I need apps to run everything? 2) I am running Android 2.3 and it will not see a PDF file. Do I...

What Tablet? [ 2 Answers ]

I did a lot of research on tablets and it seems they all are pretty expensive and break fairly easily. I was just wondering if anybody could recommend a tablet for a casual artist? And where can I get one?

View more questions Search