Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PacoH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2014, 11:28 AM
    Flint striker
    @twinkiedooter

Thank you for your great advice. I won a beautiful vintage Coghlan's IMCO of Austria Flint Striker Lighter from the 50s on eBay in mint condition. It even came with the original blister pack. Only one problem. When I inserted a new flint, nothing happened. It turns out something was jammed inside, probably a corroded flint. I searched for days to find a way to get it out. I tried a lot of things but nothing worked. You have to understand, this lighter is made to very tight German tolerances and there is not even enough space between the guard and the flint wheel to insert the finest of dental picks. The only access is through the flint port with about 1/2" clearance at a 90 degree angle. Very awkward. I tried pushing on it with a bent paper clip but it would not budge. I finally found this post and I wrapped a piece of aluminum foil around the end and poured lighter fluid (naphtha) into the flint port and then wrapped the foil around it tightly and set the handle at an angle so it wouldn't drain. A few hours later, I unwrapped it and the fluid was still there. I then was able to poke the paper clip, firmly, in toward the wheel and the flint crumbled into a pasty mess which was easily cleaned out. Now the lighter works perfectly. The lighter fluid was the key. Thank you so much.

Name:  IMG_7623_cr-0.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  69.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_7623_cr-3.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  96.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_7623_cr-4.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  105.0 KB
    Attached Images

Check out some similar questions!

Door Striker Plate [ 6 Answers ]

The door bolt would not meet the striker plate. I extended the bolt to see where it hit; it was way off the mark. I had to chisel the door jamb. Works okay now. But now the latch plate has no wood to screw into. It must be filled in with something. Like wood dough Or what?? Works fine without...

Zippo lighter with stuck/corroded flint [ 6 Answers ]

I have an old Zippo lighter that I dug out the other day, and the flint is corroded in the flint tube. At first the wheel wouldn't turn, but I got it to turn freely. Looks like the flint corroded to the wheel after all those years laying in a dresser drawer. I can't push the flint up from the...

Would like to find Biological dad -Flint Michigan area [ 9 Answers ]

I decided to see if anyone knows the best (free) way of finding my biological father. I was conceived near Flint Michigan by a man named Daniel Gordon. This was in 1981 and he was between the ages of 20-23. My mom and him dated briefly until he left her for another woman. Supposedly he went off...

Damp proofing solid flint walls [ 2 Answers ]

I have damp problems so have removed the old lath & plaster stud walls, which has revealed a thick solid flint wall which is also damp (my house is 250 years old). How should I treat the flint wall before replacing the studwork with foilbacked plasterboard?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search