Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2014, 02:19 PM
    America tried in the court of public opinion
    I know we have discussed the Ferguson case before but this has taken a nasty turn

Michael Brown's mother: 'This could be your child' - CNN.com

It becomes obvious that anytime you don't like a court decision you take to the streets and protest. The officer involved here has been found guilty in the court of public opinion even though a Grand Jury found he didn't have a case to answer. So the point becomes a question of the victims character, was he the neighbourhood hood he appeared to be? Or the lovely child his parents thought him to be? That question doesn't appear to have been answered but the accusation has been made that his character was assassinated. It has been brushed aside, tarred with the stink of racism. Other questions surround the treatment of the victims remains.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/25/op...html?hpt=hp_c1

When did it become racist to apprehend a suspect or call into question the actions of a teenager. I wonder how a black police officer would have acted in these circumstances?

How do you define racism? Discrimination or something more, Is it disliking the actions of a specific group of people? Will the father be charged for inciting a riot. There are deep cultural questions to be answered.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 26, 2014, 03:27 PM
    What your not understanding is the way the laws around the country work. Was this shooting justified? I havent read the testimony from the grand jury but so far it looks justified.

What we have now in this country is a deep seeded lust for money at any price. Those that wish to fan the flames of race over and over again because they profit from it so heavily. Even our president incites the flames of racism. It is hard to deal with issues when you have persons that are fanning the flames while you stand by with a squirt gun to put them out.

If the real truth got out that we are all pretty much the same no matter what the color of our skin is then those that are making the money from it would have to find something else to do. Right now its not a choice as the money is too big.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 26, 2014, 04:37 PM
    This is all unfortunate, but there are pictures of this man beating up a store owner and trashing the store. I don't quite remember where I saw the pics. They are from a security camera in the store. I don't think he was as lily white as his mom states. He looked to be a real thug. I imagine anyone could dig up the pics on Google by putting in the pertinent information.

This incident has gone viral. They are protesting in Toronto and across the country in both Canada and the US.

When will it stop ?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2014, 05:09 PM
    there were 2 court decisions this week in Arkansas and Mississippi that overturned gay marriage bans. Should there now be riots over those decisions ? I got an idea. There have been multiple arrests over the riots . Let's deny them due process and serve a verdict now .

I wonder how a black police officer would have acted in these circumstances?
    You don't have to search far for that answer . August 11 ; Dillon Taylor was gunned down by non-white Salt Lake City police officer, Bron Cruz.
    What ? You haven't heard of this story ? No surprise there . There have been multiple protests over this shooting .... but no looting ,violence ,arson etc. There have instead been peaceful democratic protests.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 26, 2014, 05:11 PM
    Michael Brown was no longer a "child" at 6'5" and 289 lbs. He had just stolen cigarellos from a convenience/liquor store, shoved the clerk around, then walked down the middle of the street, blocking traffic. Google Youtube "Michael Brown robbery" (without quote marks) for the video.

Only he and Officer Wilson know what really happened after that. Officer Brown did try to stop Brown with shots to his right arm. Apparently, we still don't know if Brown was lunging toward Wilson or trying to surrender when the fatal shots caught him in the head.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2014, 05:29 PM
    The Officer gave clear evidence he was in a rage and was not surrendering, you have to question his sanity. Where was the car camera to record the events, I though such things were standard. Was killing him outright over the top? We all have these incidents of police shooting and sometimes for lesser circumstances than these, but the public response is ridiculous and all taking part should be prosecuted, particularly the father for what is at the least incitement to riot and may even be sedition, that is; inciting revolt against the state. It cannot be excused as grief, the death happened weeks ago.

Any group that uses the racist tag as an incitement to violence should not be dismissed as a lawful protest or a response to racism, it is in itself an expression of racism but you can never call a black man racist.

Having said that what is happened is obviously part of some deep seated issues regarding the conduct of both law enforcement and the community generally
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 26, 2014, 05:30 PM
    Michael Brown's stepfather got it right, people just don't realize he was talking about his wife

Michael Brown's stepfather: 'Burn this down!' - CNN.com
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2014, 05:36 PM
    That remark is unhelpful
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2014, 05:48 PM
    The Grand Jury determined the officer was justified . We are told that we have to accept the justice system when cases like OJ go against what we believe happened. But what we have is an emperor stoking up tensions with his version of social justice over individual justice . After the verdict he said the anger on the street was justified because of historical injustice. Before that he told the UN that Ferguson was representative of America's failings .
    To him ,Brown and Wilson are props in his narrative. He said " We need to recognize that the situation in Ferguson speaks to broader challenges that we still face as a nation. The fact is in too many parts of this country a deep distrust exists between law enforcement and communities of color. Some of this is the result of the legacy of racial discrimination in this country." He was projecting a justification for the riots that happened after the grand jury decision. He enabled the rioters with his words .
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2014, 06:17 PM
    Tom It maybe he has correctly identified the elephant in the room, you don't get a lot of marks for stating the bleeding obvious even if you do it articulately. The fact is 150 years ago a slave population, a population of non citizens found itsself "free", but the attitudes of the rest of the population were not addressed and so a hundred years later you got around to really addressing the issues, but you would think the current generation after 50 years of civil rights would no longer feel oppressed. Clearly this isn't so. But all of this must be seen against the background of poverty, economic hardship and that other elephant in the room, law enforcement and the drug problem. I expect every cop expects daily to encounter some hop head bent on violence and on statistics the probability that will be a person of colour.

Now Obama is a savvy politician and he can use what is happening here to force change, to add to his legacy and he may well be doing that. You can bet he will ask Congress to provide legislation to address these issues
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2014, 06:28 PM
    Now Obama is a savvy politician and he can use what is happening here to force change, to add to his legacy and he may well be doing that. You can bet he will ask Congress to provide legislation to address these issues
    No he won't ;he's directed Eric Holder to "work with cities across the country to help build better relations between communities and law enforcement. That means working with law enforcement officials to make sure their ranks are representative of the communities they serve. We know that makes a difference. It means working to train officials so that law enforcement conducts itself in a way that is fair to everybody. It means enlisting the community actively on what should be everybody's goal, and that is to prevent crime." He's not interested in legislation .It's raw power he likes.
    As for his legacy ...... it's the trashed and looted convenience store of the original victim . His business was destroyed yesterday by the mob that felt justified due to some historic grievance to loot and vandalize the business he built to serve the community . The emperor can wear that legacy .
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 26, 2014, 06:41 PM
    but you would think the current generation after 50 years of civil rights would no longer feel oppressed. Clearly this isn't so.
    Why do you think that is? Could it be the "Community Organizers" that have been profiting from keeping tensions inflamed for that same 50 years?
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2014, 07:38 PM
    No it is because you expect there might be positive impacts and momentum in such issues. Look I know it is difficult, we experience much the same with our indigenous, there seems to be a glass ceiling in racial matters. But changing the terminology you use when referring to ethnic groups still emphasises the differences, it is not inclusive language and I expect that it entrenches attitudes. A Scot said it long ago "a man is a man for all that". We all become frustrated with entrenched problems in our communities, and disadvantage brings frustration most of all. All those jobs that were exported to bring cheap goods from China should have stayed home. Maybe some people benefited from cheap goods but they would have benefited more from employment. When I make these remarks I'm not only referring to your economy, I'm also including my own.

A government has a responsibilty to protect its own first not run off solving the world's problems
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 26, 2014, 07:49 PM
    I had a case, about 15 years ago. I was attacked by two black gang members, who were upset, I had destroyed their "gang markings" showing their territory. One had a baseball bat. These "young sweet boys" were all 6 feet tall and in that 160 to 180 lb range.

I was a state officer at that time, but off duty. I use serious force to disarm the one with the bat and very strong force to subdue the one that had the bat. The other one got away.

At this point,
    1. not CPS got called since I had seriously beaten a child. (remember I was off duty) CPS then wanted to interview my children for possible abuse problems.

2. At court, these gang members, had long sleeve dress shirts and ties, ( hiding gang tattoos) and looked like they were going to Sunday school.

The defense objected that I appeared to testify in uniform, since this was no done in my official capacity and my uniform, would influence the jury.

The "child" was presented as a well behaved young man, who was just going to play baseball when I attacked him and his friend. ( yes you guessed it, because he was black)

I had a hard time getting any witness to testify, yes, they were scared of what gangs would do to them.

So, if anyone wanted to testify for this officer, I doubt they would, out of fear of the mobs and being labeled a traitor or worst.

In the case I had, the case was taken back to juv court (we had him charged as an adult at first) and he got 6 months in Juv lock up where he got honor for having served time.

Good straight A students commit crimes, that is an issue, at sentencing, for them if they are charged. But the facts of the crime, should be what a jury looks at.

In this case, honestly a Grand Jury almost never finds that there is not a case. The evidence showing this was a justified shooting must have been very strong.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2014, 08:01 PM
    Chuck you know in these cases the facts shouldn't get in the way of a good story. The presumption of innocence wasn't afforded to the officer by the black community, they had him tried, convicted, sentenced to death and executed before any Grand Jury looked at the case and when this didn't happen they went out for blood.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2014, 02:38 AM
    Yes, I worry about the Federal case, since the Justice Department sways with political pressure. But so true, truth has nothing to do with good news
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2014, 04:52 AM
    Natalie Dubose's business, Cakes & More, was the target of the arson, rioting and looting that followed the grand jury's decision She built her business by herself (yes she did emperor ).No one from the government did it and no one from the government is there now to help her fill all the orders she took for the Thanksgiving holiday .
    She pleaded before the decision,
    "If I can't open my doors in the morning, I can't feed my kids in the evening,"....
    "Just don't burn my shop down, don't destroy it" .

She opened her shop in June, a couple months before the Brown shooting . The riots after the shooting almost shut down her business. For two weeks after the shooting not a single customer entered her shop.

"I am a single mom, a mother of two,"..."This is everything I own; I can't walk away from it. I just got to start up and start baking again."...
    "We have orders to go out for Thanksgiving. I can't tell the people — I won't tell the people — that I'm canceling." So she went back to her destroyed shop ,salvaged what she could ,and went back to work.
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2014, 06:01 AM
    Yes Tom a mob is mindless and someone should send Mr. Brown the bill, he incited the riot and is directly responsible for the carnage. No, let's see him before a Grand Jury, maybe he will find their next decision more to his liking
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2014, 01:54 PM
    They still haven't arrested Brown's stepfather for inciting a riot but it is getting closer

Michael Brown's stepfather: 'Burn this down!' - CNN.com

How obvious can you be? You can try a police officer in the court of public opinion but a malcontent can't be touched and for the most racist of reasons
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2014, 06:23 AM
    so yesterday ,at the 25,000 attended millions march in NYC ,the protesters were recorded chanting "what do we want ? ...dead cops ! "
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4ARsxrZh8

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Public opinion best for me [ 3 Answers ]

Just recently released from prison (25 years).want to drive truck, need training, help obtaining employment, who best fit to help? Want a job, but not at the luxury of the company screwing me over in a contract. Plus, want to be home regularly, nightly, been a way from loved ones for to long.

What is your opinion of PDA (Public Display of Affection)? [ 13 Answers ]

What is your opinion of PDA (Public Display of Affection)? My girlfriend hates when I wrap my arm around her waist in public. She thinks it's PDA. What do you think? Am I wrong, or is she? We both are well educated, mature and, working. I never kiss her on her lips in public. I will never be...

What is your opinion about lend america [ 3 Answers ]

I would like some information about lend america. I have heard some bad news and good news.

Public opinion polls [ 3 Answers ]

Based on public opinion polls it would appear that a majority of American A. can understand government if they try b. have never been asked about their ability to understand government c. find government easy to understand d. find government complicated and fell inadequate to understand it

Government Influence on Public Opinion? [ 2 Answers ]

Could anyone help me out -- I need to do a position paper on the following question: To what extent should governments attempt to influence public opinion. I need examples too please. Thanks

View more questions Search