Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jrsavieo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2014, 05:07 PM
    Wiring two switches one power source
    I have a single light that is controlled by a regular switch and a dimmer switch and I have another regular switch that gets it's power from the dimmer switch in the same box.
    Here is my dilemma the box where I'm installing the light has a red wire,a white wire and two black wires now the light I'm installing only has one black wire,one white wire and the green ground wire.
    Question is which wires in the box do I connect the three wires on my light?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2014, 08:30 PM
    We have no idea as to how your house is wired. You will need to obtain either a test light or a voltage meter to determine what are the supply and switched leads. Red is connected to? Typically white to white and either black or red to light black. There is where you need to find the switched lead.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 25, 2014, 07:18 AM
    Okay, my first question is why do you need two switches (snap and dimmer) to control the light?

Every dimmer switch that I have worked with uses a push button to turn the light on and off.

Next, you absolutely have to trace the wires from the light outlet through the switch if you have disconnected the wires at the light.

Normally all you have to do is replicate the connections at the light. Everything else should be fine. At the power connection, red to the switch should be connected to the black supply. White (Neutral) should be connected to all the other whites. Black will be the return from the switch to the light. Bare ground connects to all the other bare grounds.

At the light, black (from the switch) will connect to black (for the light) and white to white (Neutral), bare ground to bare ground.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 25, 2014, 02:14 PM
    the box where I'm installing the light has a red wire,a white wire and two black wires
    If there is two black wires there should be two white wires.

Are you saying you are replacing an existing light fixture?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 switches 1 power source from an outside light [ 2 Answers ]

Power source is coming into switches from the light. Want to run power to a second light from the switch. How do I jump the power source. Using 14/2 already run. Don't really have a choice to replace

Wiring multiple switches and one recept to one power source [ 1 Answers ]

Need to wire two separate sp switches and one recept to a single hot?

One power source, two switches [ 2 Answers ]

If I have one power source coming in, do I just pigtail the black wire to the two swtches and wire nut the white wires together? Also do I pigtail the ground to the switchor just wire them all together?I am running 12-2 wire. And controlling two different light sources. Also on 15amp breaker,...

Wiring an inside light and an outside light one power source and two switches [ 4 Answers ]

I want to wire an inside light and an outside light with two switches and one incoming power source. With the two switches are in the same box

How to wire three switches in a line off one power source? [ 1 Answers ]

I have built a new 2 piece bathroom and I have 3 separate switches all right beside each other and I want to power all 3 from one feed. (one is for the bathroom light, one is for the fan and the other is the hall light) How do I wire them so that they all work independently?

View more questions Search