Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thinkaboutit Posts: 270, Reputation: 5

Nov 22, 2014, 10:47 PM
    A cold
    I have a cold my head is all drowsy and my nose won't stop running. I feel yuk! I'm not aloud to take cold and flu tablets so was wondering if anybody has any suggestions about how to feel better.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 23, 2014, 07:22 AM
    Why are you not allowed to take any cold/flu medicine? Medical history? Parents (not sure how old you are) don't believe in them?

ALL cold relievers are just for relief; they don't cure a cold. There is no cure.

Home remedies are many. Stay warm! Don't go outside if you don't have to, and bundle up head to toe if you do. Drink TONS of liquids to replenish what you are losing out your nose and from fever. No sodas or junk drinks. Water juices way down with tons of water, or make weak tea with honey and lemon. Make sure there is moisture in the air, because in the winter, dry houses are bad for us. You can lean over a pot of steaming water on the stove twice a day for 10 minutes if you don't have a humidifier. Hang out extra time in the shower, breathing deeply. Brush your teeth and tongue (yes your tongue!) and gargle with warm salted water as many times a day as you can stand. Sleep propped up on as many pillows as you can.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 23, 2014, 07:26 AM
    Won't they let you take cold meds because of your drug use history? That is understandable.

Drink plenty of fluids and get as much rest as possible.

Nov 23, 2014, 01:33 PM
    No me dad said he'd rather I not take anything which I think is unfair, I'm sick he won't even let me take anything for me throat and I'm in so much pain it hurts every time I swallow. If it gets any worse then I'm going to get something for my throat. Thanks for the advise we have one of those vaporiser things ill put that in me room and try and get some rest. I'd drink lot of fluids but it hurts too much.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 23, 2014, 02:29 PM
    Salt water gargles, with very warm water.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 24, 2014, 09:24 AM
    You didn't mention a sore throat at first! That can be a strep infection. Show it to your dad. If it's just sore from post nasal drip, it won't be red and infected.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 24, 2014, 02:41 PM
    Last century, they advertised hot TANG brand drink mix for a cold and sore throat. It kinda makes sense; warm liquids and vitamin C. Tang tastes like sidewalk chalk, so I tried it with Lemonade mix. It helps a LOT with the sore throat and phlegm in the back of your mouth.

Nov 24, 2014, 03:20 PM
    Thanks my dad got me some mouth gargle stuff makes me throat all numb so I can at least swallow with out it hurting so much. The vaporiser helped me breath a bit better. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Washer/no cold water, only on, hot wash cold rinse [ 0 Answers ]

Temperature settings are: CC, WC, WW, HC. Cold water works in all settings except the HC setting, ( Hot wash cold rinse ).

My ac unit is not cooling, the large copper line is cold but not super cold, [ 7 Answers ]

My ac unit is not cooling, the large copper line is cold but not super cold, my husband changed the filter and we set the ac to 78 and it has been at 81 for about an hour. What other things should we check for before we call an AC repair person.

Cold and drafty from ceiling mounted cold air return [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a adobe style home built in 2000 with a Single Roof Mounted combined HVAC system in the Albuquerque New Mexico Area. Directly below the HVAC is the only cold air return duct work located in the ceiling of the Hallway on one end of the Home. A single Thermostat for the entire...

Furnace blowing cold air.starts out warm, goes to cold. [ 6 Answers ]

Hoping for help here. I recently had my ignitor replaced. Before that, the furnace wasn't working at all. Now it starts blowing warm (not hot) air, then gradually over a period of a couple of hours, the air cools down until it is completely cold and the temperature in the house drops drastically....

View more questions Search