Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mistress Maiden Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2014, 12:06 PM
    Non-Custodial parent died in serious arrears
    I'm hoping to get some of the $45,000 in arrears. He only paid $53.50 a month. I asked 20 years later at FOC can they up what he paying I'm struggling still. I was told that if he is continuing to pay the $53.50 that's all they can do for me, so am I to get nothing even though SS was only taking out so much from those arrears now I'm screwed of any monies. The Dad had nothing he was on SS and homeless. No Life Insurance, No Home, No Property and our son if it helps is now 24 yrs old and trying to make a life.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 22, 2014, 12:15 PM
    If he had nothing, where would this money come from?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 22, 2014, 12:27 PM
    That 45,000 isn't 'real.' It's an amount set by the court in case he ever got a job, inherited money, won the lottery, etc.
    There's no way to get it now, and your son is too old to qualify for a survivor benefit.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2014, 02:00 PM
    Agreed... if he had nothing, there is no place for the money to come from. Are you working? What have you been doing for income all of these years? Have you been able to take advantage of additional training or schooling over the years so that you could increase your own income?

Hopefully this will be an eye opener for your son as he considers what he will do with his life in regard to supporting himself both now and in years to come.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 22, 2014, 07:26 PM
    His estate still owes the money, but if there is nothing in the estate where do you think the money would come from?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 22, 2014, 10:24 PM
    There is an old saying. You can't get blood out of a stone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custodial parent gave child to Non Custodial Parent now wants him back? [ 2 Answers ]

My husbands ex called us back in October and said that she could no longer handle their son (he is 7) and she was afraid she would "snap" one day and hurt him so we moved him in with us. My step son calls his mom on a daily basis he is doing better in school, and as a family have started...

Non custodial parent rights w/ absent custodial parent and controlling grandparents [ 5 Answers ]

My husband currently has 50% visitation time. My stepsons mother has sole legal custody. For over the last month and a half my husband has not been able to get a hold of her or see her at all. He has made many attempts by calling her, texting her, certified mail, and asking her mother to have her...

Child support in arrears, non-custodial parent recently awarded SSDI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a case in the Kings County Family Court of New York. The non-custodial parent of my three children has been ordered to pay child support ever since the 90's. He has not paid , and is in arrears ove $66,000.00. In court he claims he can not work or even pay the modification of $25.00 a month....

Rights of non custodial parent in a divorce wherein death occurred to custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

Non custodial non US citizen parent (father) lives in Mexico. Custodial parent of two minor children (5 years old and 1 year old) is US citizen in Illinois. Divorce papers named father but set forth no requirements or terms for visitation, child support etc. There has been little if any contact...

View more questions Search