Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cannkat Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2014, 05:11 PM
    Am I gifted?
    I'm twelve years old and am in 7th grade. I'm taking two ninth grade courses, eighth grade classes(what I mean by that is that the students are mostly in 8th grade, but the actual course is 9th grade). There Algebra 1 and Honors LAC(it's English, but I currently can't remember the actual name). My other two classes, History and Science, are pretty easy, like most of the time I understand what the teacher is talking about.

So does anyone think that I'm gifted? Also, does anyone know about any websites that I can find out my IQ on(I've never had it tested)?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2014, 05:35 PM
    Well, if you are in advanced courses, you are doing better than most students. It is hard to know whether you are naturally brighter, or just work harder or more efficiently. In any event, you have a gift for learning which will serve you well as long as you keep making the most of it.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2014, 05:45 PM
    I was actually reading and comprehending college level stuff when I was in the 6th grade as one example. And tha I had three study halls a day in my senior year because I had already taken every class I could take before then for College prep. And I still took Metal SHop every year of high school for fun. I however don't consider myself gifted. Bright maybe, but not gifted. Maybe cause I've known a couple of truly gifted people in my life.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 18, 2014, 06:01 PM
    I think the question is, what do you mean by gifted?

Certainly you do seem to be bright in a few subjects, and that's great! But that doesn't necessarily equate to being gifted.

IQ testing is not an exact science. I have yet to see an accurate online IQ test.

Gifted means more than doing well in a few school subjects.

In other words, I'd say that you sound very bright for your age, but based on the info you provided I wouldn't say that you're gifted, which is just fine.

Keep up the good work.

I think the question is, what do you mean by gifted? Certainly you do seem to be bright in a few subjects, and that's great! But that doesn't necessarily equate to being gifted. IQ testing is not an exact science. I have yet to see an accurate online IQ test. Gifted means more than doing well in a few school subjects. In other words, I'd say that you sound very bright for your age, but based on the info you provided I wouldn't say that you're gifted, which is just fine. Keep up the good work.
    cannkat Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2014, 09:06 AM
    Now that I think about it, I kind of think gifted means that you have an advanced natural talent, like the people in A.N.T Farm.

I've never spent more than 20-30 minutes on an assignment unless it's really big. Sometimes it has only taken me less than 10 minutes. That's why normally I end up wondering why everyone is spending hours on things that took me a few minutes.

The IQ test is just something that I'm wondering since I've never had that tested and I just kind of want to know. Doesn't really go along with the question, I was just wondering.

Thanks for the answers!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 21, 2014, 09:21 AM
    Many truly "gifted" children are loners as they don't fit in with the societal norms of their age group.

While most children think being "gifted" is a blessing, in many cases it is more of a curse. There may come a time when you begin to equal out with your peers. If that ever happens it can be devastating.

I would say you are truly talented and exceptionally intelligent, keep up the good work. I'm sure your parents are proud of you. But remember, if you ever have that IQ test, and it is above normal, there might possibly be expectations placed upon you that you may or may not be able to meet.

There is no reason you can't be a 12 year old kid who excels in school with little struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by cannkat View Post
    I kind of think gifted means that you have an advanced natural talent, like the people in A.N.T Farm.
    Are you talking about the sitcom that aired on the Disney Channel? You do realize that is fictitious and not at all based on reality, don't you?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 21, 2014, 10:05 AM
    Be careful with all these IQ and gifted labels! I was a top student who didn't have to study, sailed through high school, 700s on SATs, National Honor Society, and a full scholarship to one of the best colleges in the country. I couldn't handle the work load from the start, and dropped out. (It didn't help that I was unhappy, so don't know if I would have stayed if I had been.)
    Being quick to learn and having a high IQ are only part of the process. You need a real desire to learn for learning's sake, not good grades, and you need wisdom, and wisdom comes only with age. You will see someday how meaningless what you want to know really is.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2014, 03:26 PM
    Today, "Gifted" is a label that often affords a student entry into more advanced courses or even entirely separate, more challenging schools. To know if you meet that label in your school district, you would have to ask to be tested (or have your parents ask). Maybe it's already been done but they don't want you to get conceited!

It can also be relative to the school you attend and where you live. I went to a high school that was among the top in the country. Nearly every student left home for a four-year college after graduation and the other handful went to an excellent local community college. In our school, to be considered "accelerated" or the equivalent of today's "gifted" we had to score in the top 2% of our school district. Well, our average student was probably in the 75th or higher percentile of students nationally, so our top 2% was probably in the top .5% nationally. Our top 10% were probably all within the top 2% nationally. So, in other words, a lot of gifted kids didn't make the cut. It didn't matter because the entire school operated at a more challenging level. But if you do not go to an academically challenging and successful school, getting this "gifted" label has a lot of potential power because it can give you opportunities you can't otherwise access.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 21, 2014, 03:32 PM
    Have your parents petition your school and have you tested is the only solution.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 21, 2014, 07:38 PM
    You sound very smart, but it is far from gifted. Don't worry about IQ tests, and that is not always a judge of gifted. Just do your best and find time to enjoy life also

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I gifted? [ 19 Answers ]

I never thought of myself as being gifted before, but the more I think about it, the more I start to doubt it. I could be totally wrong and over-estimating myself though. Can I be gifted, based on the following? I am a 16 year old female living in Montreal (Bonjour!). Still in High School, I...

How to tell if I am gifted? [ 17 Answers ]

You know. Its starting to make sense and I do understand now that I am different. Different yes because I am always finding myself not being able to place in words what ever it may be I'm trying to explain to someone. And no matter what I do. They will NEVER see what I can see in anything. In...

Gifted but. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am 18 years old and have an IQ of 135. I was considered gifted ever since I was about 6. I was in enrichment programs and honors classes my whole life. I was also chosen, along with 20 other people, out of 2,000 or so to be in my colleges honor program. Anyway, I am here to say that I...

Am I gifted [ 6 Answers ]

I think I'm gifted... am I?

Is she gifted? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, My youngest daughter is unusualy bright and still very curious at 12 years old, so I took her to the doctors and they gave her an IQ test, all I was told about it was that she has an IQ of 131. I don't know what this means as I was given no scale or any other information. ...

View more questions Search