Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minionman2005 Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Nov 18, 2014, 12:24 PM
    Help with a computer problem
    Hey everyone, recently I got a couple of computers from a friend of my parents, her daughter had passed away and she knew I collect parts and work on computers, my question is this, both are password protected and I know I could just wipe the hard drives and start over with them, but her mother wanted to get all of the personal stuff like pictures and videos of the family off the computers, how would I be able to bypass the sign in screen so I can do this?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Nov 18, 2014, 01:28 PM
    The best way to do this, I am not sure if it will work any more, is to get a copy of the ubuntu bootable CD. Boot onto that. Plug in an external drive and copy all the stuff over. The permissions might stop you though. Another way is to get a Hard drive enclosure and hook those up as an external USB/eSATA drive. That could work as well.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2014, 03:00 PM
    I personally use Hirens Boot CD, a few utilities in there help me bypass/reset Windows profile passwords.
    As mentioned above slaving the hard drives in another desktop or putting them in a USB enclosure might be your best bet.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 18, 2014, 07:51 PM
    The issue with booting from a live CD is that; even though Ubuntu/Linux Distro's share the resources of the PC (thus the windows OS), any file permissions (especially encrypted files) established by a previous OS can still carry over. You'll get some wonky error when browsing certain portions of the HDD or attempting to open certain data files/folders if this happens.

It's quite the same with turning this HDD into a USB/External Drive. The files on the HDD are still there, in their original format, and with the original file permissions. Taking it out of the machine, attaching it as a peripheral device to another machine, and browsing the HDD via another OS doesn't automatically make the files accessible and free to view all the time.

Your best bet boils down to two things.

1. You can try the above two methods as it ultimately comes down to how the previous file permissions/Operating System was setup on that HDD/machine.
    2. Use software to bypass the credential prompt. NeedKarma gave you a great start with Hirens.

*Sidenote: Hirens isn't simply cracking the password for you. It essentially gives you access to the HDD with 'fake' credentials. What this means is that if ANY files are encrypted on those HDD's, Hirens won't work (too my knowledge).

Collectively, I feel we've given you a great start to you project. Good luck!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2014, 05:18 AM
    Actually Hirens resets the Windows password to <blank> so that you can reboot and access the profile(s) normally.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ask computer problem [ 2 Answers ]

WHEN I changed my windows I receive this error 0xc00000e9(some devise connected to your camputer... ) and then I found unallocated space with 3mg size.when I use computer management for use this unallocated space I can't because when in computer management I right click on this unallocated space...

Computer problem [ 3 Answers ]

My speakers not working. Audio driver seems to be missing. Dell computer. No disc

Computer Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Lenovo Y500 Laptop. In this I got, 512 MB RAM, 120GB HDD, INTEL Centrino Duo PROCESSOR. Its HDD Partition is C:\20GB, D:\80GB, and remaining part is used as RECOVERY. Windows Vista Basic is Pre installed. Now when I update windows it cover the whole C Partition/drive. If I re-partition...

Computer problem [ 2 Answers ]

The monitor is upside down and I would like to correct the problem.

Computer Problem [ 5 Answers ]

Working on a computer that will not work at its home location. Bring it into the office or take it to my home - works fine. Cannot figure out the problem. Can't operate computer at all at home location - continuosly locks up one right after the other, have to alt control delete to reboot or...

View more questions Search