Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AdrianCavinder Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2014, 06:04 AM
    Moon landing: Irrefutable proof?
    Okay, well, I’m no scientist or astronomer, but there still seems to be conspiratory theorists plugging away on the idea that the whole Apollo mission was a huge hoax. It would seem to me that one way to put the cat to bed would be to actually show evidence of the landing. They left a USA flag and my question is fairly straightforward: if we have satellites orbiting the Earth that can pick up car license plates, couldn’t the same satellite/s be positioned to pick up the flag on the moon? At least in theory perhaps. Whether the powers that be would want to is another question. Anyway, just curious to know if we have the technical ability to show definitively that the landing actually took place. Cheers. Adrian
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 17, 2014, 01:39 PM
    It's impossible to see the moon landing sites using Earth-based telescopes, due to the immense distance involved. One would need a telescope with an aperture at least 300 feet in diameter to make out an object 250,000 miles away that is ten feet across, which is about the size of the LEM lower stage left behind. To see the flag on the moon would require a telescope about 1,000 feet in diameter. To put that in perspective - the largest telescope in the world has an aperture of 34 feet.

The determination of the size of the scope needed comes from the formula for resolving power for telescopes:

where:

R = angular resolution in radians, which for this example is 10 ft/(250,000 miles x 5280 ft/mi) = 7.6 x 10^(-9) radians
    is the wavelength of visible light, which is around 580 nM, or 1.9 x 10^(-6) ft.
    D is the diameter of the scope in feet.

Of course if you can get closer to the moon you can use a smaller telescope. Last year the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter did just what you ask - it snapped photos of several of the the Apollo landing sites from lunar orbit, and specifically you can see the Apollo 11 lander as a white speck in the photo. See: Photos: New Views of Apollo Moon Landing Sites | Moon Exploration and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_R...ssance_Orbiter

Regarding satellites being able to resolve a license plate from orbit - if you crunch the numbers for a resolution of 1 inch from an orbit of 100 miles it turns out the scope must be about 12 feet across - certainly doable.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 17, 2014, 06:12 PM
    The simple answer is that yes we have been to the moon. You want "proof" ? How about that little piece of hardware that we left behind so we could bounce a laser off of it to measure the distance ?

Here you go.

Lunar Laser Ranging experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2014, 10:48 PM
    I will agree to the license plate issue. In my past employment, I have seen it done, along with much more. But again, it deals with distance and line of sight. Buildings, clouds, trees, and more, can cause problems with visual.

But of course, many people, do believe it was a hoax. my mother went to her grave, believing it was all a lie, to prove to the nation, that we were better than Russia.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2014, 06:29 AM
    There is an element of people that could be standing outside at midnight... arguing its not really nighttime. Just because their watch is wrong. Some people are delusional, or just plain stupid and will believe anything they want to believe. Like Alien Abductions. Ever notice the type of people that get abducted? Its not a coincidence that mentally unstable drunks , living in trailer parks with a poor education tend to be the only people abducted.

The point being irrefutable ...is a relative term.

Nov 18, 2014, 06:28 PM
    Thanks ebaines et al. I would take issue with questioning people being termed ‘delusional’ though. Just because their perspective is against the norm, that shouldn’t condemn them to the stupid silo. Galileo was ‘stupid’ by the same criterion.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 18, 2014, 07:57 PM
    If Apollo was a hoax, then wouldn't anything done now that is meant to 'prove' the mission landed also likely be a hoax? Tell me, who are you going to trust?
    Space X maybe, but they are a for profit business, so you would have to pay them.

As for Galileo, his writings clearly show that he wasn't stupid. He was just a heretic in his day.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 19, 2014, 06:46 AM
    The only proofs that are "irrefutable" - which is what the OP asked asked for - are mathematical ones. All else - scientific laws, historical facts, etc - we have to accept based on some level of faith. It helps to have a preponderance of evidence that backs up the claim of fact, but outside of mathematics nothing is totally irrefutable.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 19, 2014, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCavinder View Post
    Thanks ebaines et al. I would take issue with questioning people being termed ‘delusional’ though. Just because their perspective is against the norm, that shouldn’t condemn them to the stupid silo. Galileo was ‘stupid’ by the same criterion.
    Could you have accomplished what Galileo did in the l500s, my gosh, he was a mathematician, engineer, astronomer, and philosopher (read about his accomplishments) in an unlightened age, and you are saying he was stupid?

Nov 19, 2014, 12:17 PM
    Okay, well, no-one was saying Galileo was stupid - that’s why stupid was in ''. However, my point was simple (I thought): In his time, he was considered a crackhead because of their ignorance. Their ‘ignorance’ (in ‘’ btw) was, at the time, the accepted norm and therefore, no matter how right we know him to be now, his opinions then were heretical. I would certainly classify myself as stupid if I classified him as stupid now. Or perhaps you think that I believe that the Atlantic Ocean is just a gigantic waterfall? Please, I hope we have better subjects to be opinionated about.

Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    The only proofs that are "irrefutable" - which is what the OP asked asked for - are mathematical ones. All else - scientific laws, historical facts, etc - we have to accept based on some level of faith. It helps to have a preponderance of evidence that backs up the claim of fact, but outside of mathematics nothing is totally irrefutable.
    Thanks ebaines, seems I stirred a hornet’s nest. Your answer was sanity amidst gibberish.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 19, 2014, 12:41 PM
    The real gibberish is giving credence to the conspiracy crowd who deny all the facts over the years! The only difference is those ancient loons had power to force others into not expressing anything but their version of the truth. Power or not a deluded nut is a deluded nut!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 19, 2014, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCavinder View Post
    Okay, well, no-one was saying Galileo was stupid - that's why stupid was in ''. However, my point was simple (I thought): In his time, he was considered a crackhead because of their ignorance. Their 'ignorance' (in '' btw) was, at the time, the accepted norm and therefore, no matter how right we know him to be now, his opinions then were heretical. I would certainly classify myself as stupid if I classified him as stupid now. Or perhaps you think that I believe that the Atlantic Ocean is just a gigantic waterfall? Please, I hope we have better subjects to be opinionated about.

Thanks ebaines, seems I stirred a hornet's nest. Your answer was sanity amidst gibberish.
    We are all intelligent people here. Gibberish! I find that offensive, especially when I have another profession to do and volunteer here to answer posts that are quite similar to yours, but not quite as bad.

Nothing to do with ebaines, it was exceptional, but you, well, think twice about your next topic.

Nov 20, 2014, 04:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    We are all intelligent people here. Gibberish! I find that offensive, especially when I have another profession to do and volunteer here to answer posts that are quite similar to yours, but not quite as bad.

Nothing to do with ebaines, it was exceptional, but you, well, think twice about your next topic.
    I apologise for any offence caused; it was an inappropriate response from me. I do appreciate all the help and guidance I get from all of you.Thank you for the clarification.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 20, 2014, 12:42 PM
    Worth adding this here for further reading: BBC News - Is it OK to leave objects on the Moon?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A NASA moon landing photo [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, There is this stunning beautiful photograph at the NASA site dedicated to the moon landings. Someone who is into conspiracy theories argues that if you aggressively scale this, or many other photos from the same site, after download then you will see the signs of fraud. I used image...

1st moon landing [ 7 Answers ]

Why do people think that the first moon landing was a fake?

Fake Manned Moon Landing? [ 47 Answers ]

There is a group of people who claim that the United States faked the manned moon landing. They point to anomalies in the photographs as well as the radiation hazard of the trip and landing on te moon itself. Would like to hear opinions on this. Thanks!

Did we landing on the moon? [ 14 Answers ]

I want to know Did we landing on the moon? I need evidence to prove this argument Thanks

The moon landing and the flag slapping [ 6 Answers ]

How do you get a flag to do that where there is no gravity ? I hope you can see this link from NASA , can anyone explain how the corner of the flag folds towards the poster astronaut ? http://history.nasa.gov/40thann/mpeg/ap1... Best Regards,

View more questions Search