Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mailman01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2014, 06:15 PM
    Making extra payments
    If I make extra payments will it pay it off sooner?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2014, 10:00 PM
    What type of loan, where is it at? What are the terms about early payoff in the loan documents.

In some cases, it will save on interest, in other cases not. Of course if you pay more off principle, or additional payments early, it will be "paid off" sooner, a loan is an issue of a number of payments.

Whether of not, it will save any money, depends on type and terms of loan
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2014, 07:49 AM
    Generally the answer would be yes.. But more specifics about the debt might help us help you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 17, 2014, 08:13 AM
    Back in the days of high mortgage rates (~16%), I remember it was popular to set up payments for every two weeks, 27 times a year (instead of 24), which effectively added a month and a half's worth of payments to a year, and cutting the mortgage length and total amount significantly.

It was even more common to pay a 13th month at the end of the year, especially if you needed the interest deduction on your taxes.

BUT the lender has to agree, and paying extra now doesn't get you a cushion to fall back on if you think you can get away with not paying down the line.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 17, 2014, 08:33 AM
    Depending on the loan, it can even hurt you to pay it off early.

You didn't give us details, so we can't give you adequate answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making extra money on the side. [ 7 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this is the right place, mods please move if it isn't. I'm taking a 6 month leave of absence from work in November 2010, as I am moving to Arizona for that timeperiod to be with my significant other and begin the process of bringing him here to live (whole other, complicated...

Making extra cash at home, any ideas ? [ 15 Answers ]

I'm a stay at home mom because I want to raise my kids myself. At the moment I'm short of cash and need any ideas on how to make extra money, not a lot of money just to cover the basics from day to day. Also a friend of mine is very succesfull in selling perfume which she buys straight from the...

Extra principle mortgage payments [ 1 Answers ]

Do extra principle mortgage payments decrease the interest paid on the original loan, or do they simple decrease the number of payments made. I have a 15 year mortgage with 13 years left, and wonder about refinancing with a lower rate or just paying extra principle.

Extra Payments on Mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

Which Banks let you make extra payments on your mortgage with out charging a fee?

Making extra backups [ 3 Answers ]

I found a website which explains how to make extra registry backups. A tool for retrieving these backups is included. It's a zipped batch file, with instructions which simply say to unzip it to the root directory. That's where I get confused. What part of the root directory does it go to? I...

View more questions Search