Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Milo42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Terminating parental rights
    My question is how do I terminate my parental rights if no adoption takes place? My brother in-law gave up his rights and there was no adoption
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 05:55 PM
    Hello Milo:

Let's say I have a right to own a gun. But I never plan to use that right, because I'm never going to own a gun. Why would I spend money, time and effort to go to court to give up rights I never plan on using? Well, of course, I wouldn't.

But, what I think YOU want to do, is give up your parental OBLIGATIONS, such as child support, and you can't do that.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 08:17 PM
    It is fairly easy to give up your "rights" you give up the rights to custody, right to vist, right to have any say in in the raising of the child.

BUT only and only when there is an adoption of the child can you get rid of the obligatoin to pay child support. So you can terminiate any parental right, but wll always still have to pay child support if the custody parent asks for it though the court. Many times the person with custody just does not ask for it, but if they ever collect state welfare the state will stll come after them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminating Parental Rights [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Wisconsin and I have a 5 month old son, and am no longer involved with the Father. He has said on and off since the time I was pregnant, that he wanted to sign off his rights. Then he would say he wanted to be involved, get mad, say he wants to sign off etc. He was seeing our son every...

Terminating Parental Rights [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone and anyone, How do I go about getting my ex's parental rights to our 4 year old son terminated? Is this something I can do without a lawyer? It's a long story about why I have come to this decision but in a few lines I will paint a picture for better understanding. The father (my...

Terminating Parental rights/Adoption TX [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone. OK I have a 6 yr old son who hasn't seen his Bio father in 3 years. He send CS but not on a regualar basis. Well My husband wants to adopt my son. My ex wants to sign off on his rights so we are very pleased. OK how do we do this without hiring a lawyer? I have found out that we need a...

Terminating parental rights due to abondonement [ 1 Answers ]

How do I terminate Parental rights in the state of California. This man has not been a part of my child's life for about 7 yrs. The last time I went to court I was granted sole physical and legal custody of my child, however this man was supposed to pay child support of course he did for only about...

Terminating parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am in need of help regarding terminating parental rights. I have just been granted a temp protective order (texas) and have court for my final that will last two years. I have been abused for over 10 years by my husband. We have only been married 4. My daughter is 5 going on 6. She goes to...

View more questions Search