Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csigsrfan Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2014, 08:19 PM
    Naproxen and Ibuprofen question
    I have been on naproxen for hip issue(burist) and it helps but it is not helping with another issue. I called the doctors office and was told to take 4 Ibuprofen every eight hours. When I said I still take the naproxen when I needed it was told to take that twice a day and that I could not take ibuprofen. At the time I was out of Naproxen and had no refills left so I did 2 Ibuprofen ever four hours which helped then stopped when I got Naproxen. How long should I wait between stopping Naproxen and restarting the Ibuprofen
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 11:19 PM
    You can wait 4 to 6 hours. They both are NSAIDs (non steroidal antiinflammatories). Also, next time you run out of your Naproxen pick up some Aleve. They are the same thing any you don't need a prescription for Aleve.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 11:24 PM
    Disclaimer: My response is my own personal advice and all questions should be routed through your personal physician.

Ibuprofen and Naproxin are both NSAIDs used as an anti-inflammatory and for pain management. At face value, there aren't many differences and most could begin taking one shortly after the other wears off. The thing to keep in mind here with these two is not the difference in which they work but the difference in which they're prescribed. Naproxen is generally prescribed to individuals with no history of cardiovascular trouble. Ibuprofen is generally prescribed when the patient has a history of cardiovascular issues.

Again, I am no doctor. I advise you call your physician when you get a chance and run this question by him/her.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 13, 2014, 06:01 AM
    Also, keep in mind the milligrams you are taking.

I have typical aging aches and pains and have found that taking one acetaminophen (Tylenol, not an NSAID) and one ibuprofin every few hours is the best for me. It has taken me a few years to work out what helps most. A doctor will advise, and warn about what NOT to take given your history, but you can fine tune within those parameters. Even though Tylenol and ibuprofin both say on their labels that they are for 'fever and pain,' scientists tell us that Tylenol is more for pain, and ibuprofin is more for inflammation. Since inflammation hurts, I take both.

(I take time released 650 mg acetaminophen, and 200 mg ibuprofin. For me, the first kicks in sooner than the second, time released or not. Everyone is different. I rarely take more than one each at a time because my kidneys aren't that great.)
    Expert

Nov 13, 2014, 09:17 AM
    To be honest, as a Registered Nurse, Tylenol is good for fever, but Ibuprofen is better for pain. My surgical patients get Ibuprofen alternated with Lortab/Vicodin. Yes, Lortab/Vicodin contains Tylenol, but at lower strengths. Most times pain is actually caused by inflammation and that is why Ibuprofen works so well.

It is perfectly fine to alternate Tylenol with Ibuprofen every 3 hours for continued pain relief.

The prescription strength of Ibuprofen is 600-800 milligrams every 4 hours. That means that it is acceptable to take 3 or 4 over-the-counter 200mg tablets every 4 hours.

When taking Tylenol, it is important to know that it will impair kidney function if it is taken if there is alcohol in ones system.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 13, 2014, 12:48 PM
    But all my prescription painkillers have been Tylenol based. I don't see any research saying that ibuprofin is better, other than personal preference.

Nov 13, 2014, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You can wait 4 to 6 hours. They both are NSAIDs (non steroidal antiinflammatories). Also, next time you run out of your Naproxen pick up some Aleve. They are the same thing any you don't need a prescription for Aleve.
    Aleve did not help for my pain
    Expert

Nov 13, 2014, 10:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by csigsrfan View Post
    Aleve did not help for my pain
    That's funny because Naproxen and Aleve are the same thing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=alev...-a&channel=nts

PHP Code:
    But all my prescription painkillers have been Tylenol based.  I don't  see any research saying that ibuprofin is better, other than personal  preference. 
    It's possible your scripts are based with Tylenol, but that is not always the case.

You may not have "seen any research" but I can promise you that Ibuprofen works better for pain than Tylenol. I put it into practice every time I clock into work.

Nov 14, 2014, 07:56 PM
    I was taking one aleve not 500 mg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too many ibuprofen? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a horrific headache and a ton of stress. I have taken 7 600mg ibuprofen and about 4 shots of patron. Should I be worried?

Naproxen overdose [ 1 Answers ]

My friend took 12 naproxen she's vomiting and dizzy and has shallow breathing. She's caughing blood. In really scared. She took 6 naproxen the fell asleep and when she woke up she took 6 more. I'm really scared for her. Please help I don't want her to die she my best friend. What's going to happen...

Can I take Naproxen with night or day nurse ? [ 0 Answers ]

Can I take Day or night nurse with Naproxen as I am coming down with a heavy head cold and need something to help me sleep

Ibuprofen and Robitussin [ 7 Answers ]

Can a baby take Ibuprofen and Robitussin?

View more questions Search