Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Nov 11, 2014, 06:55 PM
    Washing machine motor...
    So when I purchased my house last year, all the appliances came with, including the washer and dryer. I know they are old, have no idea how old. Pretty sure the motor on the washer just died, started making a super loud metal clanging sound during the agitator cycle, and the middle part (not sure what that is called) was barely moving. I turned it off then advanced it to the drain cycle to get the water out, it spun for a few seconds (clanging sound still there but not as loud), then stopped, giving off a high pitch 'buzz' sound. Most of the water is out, but the clothes are still sopping wet. Now when I start it, all I get is the 'buzz' sound and no action. Guess what I would like to know is, is it worth it to repair, or is it so old a repair would cost the same as a new washer. It's a Whirlpool Super Capacity Imperial, model number LA7800XTN0, serial number CA0738055. (like I said, it's old, it's that lovely tan color, all the buttons are dark drown with some orange accent, I'm thinking late 70's maybe? I would rather not replace if possible... )
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2014, 07:20 PM
    Metal clanging would make me think transmission. Don't think one this old would be direct drive, probably belt. Washers are still pretty inexpensive. I have a cheap Whirlpool, called a Roper, for last 10 years, Paid $300 and it still runs great.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Nov 19, 2014, 10:58 AM
    Thanks ma0641 - it turned out to be the motor, which could be replaced for around $160.00, but then its just a matter of time before something else goes bad. Took your advice and bought a new one. Got a pretty nice GE on sale for $399.00, will be delivered today.
    Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine motor capacitor [ 5 Answers ]

My washing machine has two motors. One is 150W-230v/ac and other is 350W-230v/ac.There is only one combine four wire capacitor of 6+12 MFD. Can somebody tell me which is for which motor?

Need washing machine manual and motor [ 1 Answers ]

I need a manual for a Maytag Performa Washing machine and a new motor to turn the drum and water pump

Motor on kenmore washing machine smoking [ 0 Answers ]

After replacing drive coupler on my kenmore washer everything works but motor is overheating

Washing machine drain pump motor [ 2 Answers ]

At what pumping distance (upward) will the typical pump motor be overstressed?

Can't seem to get the pump off the washing machine motor... [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool washing machine, and am pretty sure I need to replace the motor coupler. I got the cabinet off; unclipped the pump (removed the hoses -- oops, probably didn't have to do that); and it LOOKS like the pump could be coaxed off the motor -- and it almost does. The bolt-like drive...

View more questions Search