Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Nov 11, 2014, 02:00 PM
    Atheists, please help me understand
    Disclaimer: I certainly don't mean to hurt and/or offend, but I'm honestly seeking answers to satiate my curiosity.

I have a life-long atheist friend whom I love, but I cannot ask her this question because in the past she gets offended very easily with "religion talk" and refuses to answer. Certainly, it's not worth fighting over, so I respect her boundaries.

My question is that she declares herself an atheist (as are her family sister, parents, nieces and husband), yet she worships "gods and goddesses of the moon and sun" and practices Wicca, including some Buddhist practices.

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't "worshiping" any "greater being" the opposite of atheism? Are there different types of atheism like the variety seen in Christianity? What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2014, 02:12 PM
    Your friend apparently does not understand the definition of atheism. An atheist is someone who does not believe in the existence of deities of any kind nor in any form of religion. To practice Wiccan or believe in any sort of deity would negate her claim to atheism. But, in her defense, she probably equates atheism to the belief in one god that is the subject of the three major religions. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all believe in, essentially, the same god, but with some significant differences. They all accept the Old Testament, but Christianity builds on it with the New Testament and Islam with the Koran.

So she feels that not believing in that one god, is what makes her an atheist. She's wrong, however.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 11, 2014, 02:32 PM
    Yes, it is a misconception. I am wiccan, but don't call myself an atheist. Trying to correct her though will be difficult, so think you had better not try.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2014, 10:34 PM
    It is correct, if a atheist, they would not believe in any god, even if that god was the sun or earth or wind.

One could have a long discussion on Buddhism, since in the pure form, it is a life style or philosophy not a religion, although many have made it into one.
    Survivor

Nov 12, 2014, 06:15 AM
    Thank you all for your informed responses. I suspected she was... misguided, let's say... but I didn't want to jump to that conclusion.

Frankly, I suspect she's not so much "atheist" as "anti-Christian" and obviously there is a difference. Over the years, she's flung personal insults at Christians (myself) and questioned those beliefs, while dabbling in other faiths. Yet, she doesn't want to have conversations, so we don't.

I would never push it with her. I know she has one of the biggest hearts on the planet and I adore her. It's simply a subject we can't have and I respect our friendship too much to push her boundaries. I've wondered about this for awhile though, so thanks!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2014, 06:36 AM
    You are correct in everything you wrote above. I also suspect more anti-christian than atheist. Since I view one's religion as a personal issue it really should never come up in discussions. If she's a good person then go with that; we need more good people on this planet. :-)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 12, 2014, 06:48 AM
    Religion, atheism, agnosticism, and philosophies like Buddhism (which indeed many have turned into something of a religion) can be interesting topics for discussion.
    Since she is a good friend, maybe ask her to talk about what she believes in detail, and just keep silent.

I wonder about the statement that all the major religions are monotheistic - isn't Hinduism a major religion?
    Late in life I decided that I like the idea of gods and goddesses, even though I don't believe in any of them, just as ways to explain the incredible intricacies of life.
    The ancient gods and goddesses of Greece and Rome did that too.
    Myths, parables, and folk tales can enrich understanding of ourselves in short, colorful ways, without a lot of wordy explanations.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2014, 07:50 AM
    This is why I don't believe in religion. In my opinion religions were created by man to explain phenomena they didn't understand. For example, Apollo was used to explain how the sun moved from horizon to horizon. Many people find great comfort in their faith in their religions and that is fine for them. I don't.
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2014, 07:59 AM
    Religion, ... can be interesting topics for discussion.
    Agreed, but it can also be very divisive with some groups of people.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 08:54 AM
    What she sounds like is a anti-theist rather then a atheist. She probably believes that that atheism is where you don't believe in Pure Divine Beings. IE, the God of Abraham, Jesus's father, Zeus, Mars, etc. Basically a deity in form. Her spirituality is centred upon the belief that souls aren't specific to biological creatures but anything has a soul, especially if they've been around for a REALLY long time. So where she probably draws the line is that anything with a soul isn't a god. So there isn't a god of the hunt, or other such gods that early religions, and those derived from them, believe in, but there is the world souls. Thus Moon god, earth god, sun god, etc.

By the strictest sense and definition it isn't atheist. It isn't even agnostic. She's believing in gods but calls herself an atheist based upon a linguistic technicality. The problem I have is that you feel the need to correct her. She's got her own world view and she's comfortable with it. Correcting her is hypocritical because you get pissed off that she's correcting you. You both have differing world views and you contemplating doing to her what she does to you. That ain't kosher.

What I believe you need to do is talk to her about respecting your beliefs. Hers are just as valid as yours as yours are just as valid as hers. She needs to realize that, that is the problem as I see it. Also don't talk about religion, or politics. Change the subject.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 10:17 AM
    I was raised to keep religion and politics to yourself. You will never get a group of people to agree.

Keep your opinions to yourself, and change the subject if she tries to interject her opinons.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2014, 05:49 PM
    Another confused person, she probably means she doesn't believe in the god of the Bible. She would appear to be a pagan but perhaps she is a seeker. You could ask her what evidence there is for the existence of these beings she claims to worship and explain that there is evidence in the Bible for the existence of God in both the Old testament and the New but she is free to reject it
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 06:31 PM
    @clete. That was a good answer. I am not being facetious.
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2014, 03:26 AM
    that there is evidence in the Bible for the existence of God in both the Old testament and the New but she is free to reject it
    Oh dear...
    Survivor

Nov 17, 2014, 07:44 AM
    @ CravenMorhead
    I appreciate your explanation of anti-theist. That is possibly the closest to what resembles her collection of beliefs.
    The problem I have is that you feel the need to correct her. She's got her own world view and she's comfortable with it. Correcting her is hypocritical because you get pissed off that she's correcting you. You both have differing world views and you contemplating doing to her what she does to you. That ain't kosher.
    Where you might misunderstand is that I do not have a desire to "correct" her. I directed my questions here so that I did not push my hope for understanding on her, knowing it makes her uncomfortable. She also does not attempt to "correct" me, but she does fling generalized insults to "Bible Freaks" which is how she refers to (all) Christians. These incidents tend to occur when she reads something online or sees something on TV that upsets her, so I divert her attention and change the subject. When she's particularly abusive, I take some time apart and come back refreshed later. We have quite a long history as friends, which I'm sure you can understand is hard to sum up in a few paragraphs online.

I honestly love discussing religion, though it's quite taboo for most folks and it's obviously difficult to find an outlet to discuss this subject matter. It's simply an area of fascination for me, and I've never met anyone with a set of beliefs like Nikki has.

Thanks, everyone, for your lovely responses so far!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2014, 05:03 AM
    You're welcome

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Atheists please help [ 36 Answers ]

I am looking for reasons and facts for why god doesn't exist, or why people shouldn't believe in god... And how religion is all made up, can anyone help me out please?

Atheists are outraged. Again. [ 18 Answers ]

Atheists are pi$$ed and offended, but what else is new? This time NY atheists are having a hissy fit over a street name honoring firefighters killed on 9/11. New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims And so, because they've concluded there is no heaven...

Should Atheists be banned from Ask me help desk? [ 19 Answers ]

It's a great question! Answer it, and I'll tell you why I ask! :o)

Atheists do not believe,How? [ 630 Answers ]

As a believer in The Creator of the worlds, I have always wondered how an atheist comes to the conclusion that God is non existent ? Please do not think that I am going to argue your points,just curious!! :confused: Thanks in advance.

Who marries two Atheists! [ 2 Answers ]

This is an honest question!! I have tried looking it up but I can't find anything. My boyfriend and I have been talking about marriage (not anytime soon but just in general) and I just can figure out who would do it... Help? Answers only please!! Don't put me down for my religious ,or...

View more questions Search